Question Help choosing additional 2x8GB RAM

ukrobochips

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Hello.

Excuse my ignorance, but I am wanting to buy 2x8 GB RAM for my PC and am unsure what type I need.

My existing RAM is:
2x GEIL 8GB PC3-14900 CL9-10-9-28
GEL316GB1866C9DC 1.65V

So, basically I want to upgrade from 16GB to a total of 32GB by adding two more sticks.

My motherboard is M5A99FX PRO R2.0.

Unfortunately, my existing RAM seems unavailable/discontinued. Am I ok to buy any 2x8GB DDR3 1866 RAM which is 1.65v? I notice a lot of the RAM available now is 1.5v and have heard that unless the voltages are the same, it can cause issues.

Upgrading to run bigger 'PioSolver' simulations for my poker study.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, peace and thanks.

ukrobochips

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
@lynx1021

Ah! Thanks for explaining/noticing that for me - appreciate your time. I followed that link you posted, but it appears all of the CL9 RAM units have been discontinued :(

I'm guessing that mixing two units of CL9 with two units of something else is not advisable?

ukrobochips

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
That 'CL' number is to do with the clock timings, right? Here is an image of CPU-Z's 'Memory' tab. Looks like my clocks are set to 11 anyway? This stuff is just too confusing until you understand all of the concepts in play!

https://ibb.co/XLgXRcJ

Maybe buying 4x8 new units would be easiest? If so, anything on that link you posted would be compatible, right? They are listed specifically for my mobo aren't they?

Thanks again for your time, very much appreciated.

ukrobochips

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
@13thmonkey

Yeah, I get your point - after reading a few similar threads.

If I do have to go for 4x8 New RAM units, is there anything in particular that you would advise as best?

My CPU is only an fx8370, so I dont think i need top of the range stuff. In fact, that GEIL RAM I initially purchased (a few years back when i built the pc) was the cheapest option!