[SOLVED] Help choosing best bang for the buck non-gaming monitor

abngton

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013
With so many choices in the market, my head is spinning...too many specs for me to consider and understand..

I wish to get a 27", non-gaming, hopefully under $200 (somewhat over is ok) . I do no games, just casual movie and sports streaming to my TV set and your regular inet browsing, news, shopping, and such.
Will consider a 32" and even curved screen. Speakers not necessary. Just best possible specs for picture quality, decent refresh rate, HD, longevity, etc. Brand is irrelevant.
My 24" SamsungSyncMaster 2333 has served me for many yrs and I would like an upgrade now.

Any help appreciated!

abngton

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013
Thank you, P.
I 've just looked up a bunch customer reviews of this unit. Very nice. But I came across a couple of negative criticisms - one claims that although it is "full HD", it does not support 1080p. The 2nd one claims the refresh rate is only 60Hz. I do not get it...
Would you care to comment?
And could you suggest another similarly excellent choice?

abngton

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013
I have since done a bunch of research and learned, among others, that the monitor VA panels have the best contrast, which is supposed to be better for watching movies (my predominant use). So far I have been eyeing this monitor LG 27QN600-B 27” QHD (2560 x 1440) IPS Display with FreeSync, sRGB 99% Color Gamut, HDR10, but the VA option intrigues me.
As I also stream sports events, maybe a better than 60Hz refresh rate, say 75Hz, would probably be helpful.
Any comment/ recommendation anyone?