help choosing best video card please?

bobkfloyd

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Hello gamers , I am looking to do a one time and final video card upgrade from my 2010 build. I do some online gaming, shooter type, but probably more often on sale games playing on story mode. I would like to know what card would give me a substantial benefit for the extra cash compared to the next more economical card.
GTX 760 was the goal as I just finally installed the CPU cooler off sitting on my shelf. Should I perhaps go with GTX 660 TI, 660, or GTX 650 ti even. I would of course put overclock on gpu. A cpu upgrade seems out of the question at this point, unless it falls in my lap. I am still running my abused GTS 250, it does not like to get overclocked anymore, but is still doing the job. ( I have not tried amd gpu yet, but a good deal in price range would be considered < $250.)
-I maxed my CPU at 3.78GHz (AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Quad-Core ) stable and cool enough to game.
-PRIMARY OS Western Digital WD Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

-CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) RUNNING AT 1344 mhz 7-9-7-20 dram 1.66V ( per bios).

-ASUS M4N98TD EVO motherboard

I would like to know:
[b]Where is the bottleneck for the GTX 760, if there is one? [/b]
Would a secondary SSD be advised to install games on? (No way to wiping my hard drive)
And most important, what is the best GPU that I should buy?
I hope to be satisfied for a few years prior to ripping mobo, oem OS, and slapping new cpu and gpu. I hope others can benefit from my post as well (too much info, I know.)!

Thank you much for reading, and any input on this matter would be much appreciated!

Bob K
3/4/14

Solution
GTX 760 is still the best for $250 price range. I would assume there will be 50% small bottleneck with that cpu. It would upgrade cpu and motherboard to a FX6300 and a M5A97 R2.0 motherboard. That way you will benefit the full performance of the GTX 760.

If you don't want to upgrade those, I still recommend a GTX 660, 660 Ti or a R9 270 from AMD. Then there will be no bottleneck in your cpu.

sweenytodd

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
GTX 760 is still the best for $250 price range. I would assume there will be 50% small bottleneck with that cpu. It would upgrade cpu and motherboard to a FX6300 and a M5A97 R2.0 motherboard. That way you will benefit the full performance of the GTX 760.

If you don't want to upgrade those, I still recommend a GTX 660, 660 Ti or a R9 270 from AMD. Then there will be no bottleneck in your cpu.

Solution

bobkfloyd

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

Wow thanks Sweenytodd for lightning fast reply. I was afraid of that answer. GPU will have to do for now, maybe great sale will influence me decision some. But I like your idea, so I will start saving my money for a whole new build in the future. You made my day!

bobkfloyd

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

Wow another lightning fast answer, thanks so much, do you agree with sweenytodd about the bottleneck on non cpu demanding games?
thanks ur6beersaway

Bob

TRENDING THREADS