Question Help choosing between laptops

dumbleburn

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
I'm buying a notebook for college and I have narrowed my choices down to a Samsung model and a Dell one, the two being aprox. the same price.

Model 1
  • Samsung
  • i7 1165G7
  • Intel Iris Xe GPU
  • 8 GB RAM DDR4
  • 256 GB SSD
  • 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080)
  • 43 Wh battery
Model 2
  • Dell
  • i5 1035G1
  • Intel UHD Graphics GPU
  • 8 GB RAM DDR4
  • 256 GB SSD
  • 15.6" HD (1366x768)
  • 42 Wh battery
To me, it's very obvious that for the same price, the Samsung one completely takes over, since it has a much better CPU, but my dad is very skeptical. He's heard that Dell is the best laptop brand, and their products are really reliable, so since I'll be at college for the next 5 years, he's pushing for the Dell one (especially because it offers the option to buy extended warranty, unlike the Samsung one). So my question is, is Dell that much better than Samsung? For such a big discrepancy, should I still opt for the safer bet?

Lutfij

Titan
Id' get the Samsung unit, merely because the older platform will be phased out sooner than later. Dell's laptops unless you're going with premium pedigree laptops from them, have pretty horrible build quality. That brings something to mind, can you parse links to the laptops you've shortlisted? Often times SKU's can and will have different trims/materials. One of the laptops might have a limitation(if it has the option for upgrades down the road)...assuming. Honestly warranty offered by anyone, have their own terms and conditions that people don't bother reading.

dumbleburn

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
Id' get the Samsung unit, merely because the older platform will be phased out sooner than later. Dell's laptops unless you're going with premium pedigree laptops from them, have pretty horrible build quality. That brings something to mind, can you parse links to the laptops you've shortlisted? Often times SKU's can and will have different trims/materials. One of the laptops might have a limitation(if it has the option for upgrades down the road)...assuming. Honestly warranty offered by anyone, have their own terms and conditions that people don't bother reading.
Hey, thanks for helping out. I'm not from the US, so I tried to find links to American stores for those two laptops but apparently the Samsung one doesn't sell in the US.
Here's the Dell one: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...emory-256gb-ssd-black/6447114.p?skuId=6447114 (although this one is FHD).

And here's the link to the Samsung one from Brazil, just in case it still might help:
From what I've researched, both of them have expandable RAM (up to 16 GB) but I'm not sure the Dell has an empty HDD slot, like the Samsung does.

Like I said, spec wise, the Samsung is much better, I'm just trying to get some info on durability, to make my dad more comfortable with the Samsung one. Let me know if you can tell me anything about the build quality from those links I've given, sorry I couldn't find the US version of the Samsung.