[SOLVED] Help choosing budget 24" monitor

Sep 27, 2020
I'm planning on buying a new monitor to go with my new PC, and I need some advice on which one is best. I don't do any gaming, just office work and some CAD, so I've read I should go with IPS or VA because I don't really care about response time or frame rate. All the monitors listed below are 24" 1080p (FHD), which seems like a good middle ground between screen size and price. I'm buying internationally so my options are fairly limited. The four leading contenders at the moment are:
  • ViewSonic VG2448 – $145
  • Dell P2419H – $150
  • LG 24MP59G-P – $155
  • Phillips 241B8QJEB – $165
I'm leaning towards the Dell because there were a number of positive reviews for it and I'm currently writing on a Dell monitor that's been serving me well for 10 years. But at the end of the day I don't know a ton about this and I'd love to get a more informed opinion.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Solution
I'm not a fan of curved monitors either, so don't feel bad. I used 27" 1080p monitors for a long time. I'm 50 and my eyes are not as great as they used to be, so for me, 1080p on a 27" monitor is fine. Some people think it's too pixelated. If it is possible, I would highly recommend that you go to a store or shop that sells them, and sit in front of a few different monitors including a 27" 1080p before you buy, because you don't want to buy it and then find out that "eh, that's too big for that resolution for me or too big of a monitor for where it has to sit in distance from me.

To be honest, if you are going to use it with a pair of 17" monitors, I would stick to 24" probably. Again, going to LOOK and get a feel for it is probably...
Since it isn't for gaming, any of them is probably perfectly fine. Of those, the Dell and the LG are probably the better options. I think in this category you really want to look at VA panels, because the really inexpensive IPS panels usually have terrible IPS glow issues. If you're going to get an IPS panel, get a good one. Otherwise, get a VA panel, because even a cheap one tends to look very good and not have glow or backlight problems.

Sep 27, 2020
I think in this category you really want to look at VA panels, because the really inexpensive IPS panels usually have terrible IPS glow issues. If you're going to get an IPS panel, get a good one. Otherwise, get a VA panel, because even a cheap one tends to look very good and not have glow or backlight problems.
I’d love to get a cheaper VA monitor, but at 24” 1080p these are the cheapest available locally, all IPS. The reviews said that the Dell didn’t have a problem with IPS glow, so hopefully that shouldn’t be a problem.

Is 24” 1080p a good size/resolution for office work or should I go for something else? My current monitor is only 17” 1280x1024 so I don’t really have anything to judge off of

If you're coming from a 17" monitor, then 24" is a nice move up. I personally prefer anything up to a 27" to be 1080p. Anything between 27-34" to be 1440p and anything over 34" to be 4k, if we're talking about computer displays. Somewhat different for televisions of course.

But yes, I agree that Dell probably isn't a bad choice and I do see that for your region, which I won't disclose here because you haven't and maybe that's intentional, monitors and hardware in general are painfully difficult to source and somewhat expensive as well, much like Canada, Australia and a few other regions.

Sep 27, 2020
Thanks for your advice. I'm considering whether to go 24" or 27". For 27" 1080p, I can get:
  • Samsung S27F350FH PLS – $170
  • ViewSonic VA2719-SMH IPS – $180
  • Dell SE2719H VA – $190
  • Dell P2719H IPS – $195
  • Samsung C27F390FH Curved VA – $205
If I do choose to go up to 27", I'm again leaning towards the Dell IPS. The Samsung PLS, ViewSonic, and Dell VA only got so-so reviews. I'm not thrilled about curved monitors in general, and the Samsung VA reviews said the viewing angles were bad on top of that. The Dell IPS again got good reviews (makes sense being the bigger version of the 24" Dell monitor) and has a DP input as opposed to the other monitors needing adapters.

I'm not sure the extra 3" of monitor is worth $45 though. I'm already planning on using this monitor in a triple monitor setup with two ~17" monitors I already have, so a 30% price increase doesn't really seem worth it.

I'm not a fan of curved monitors either, so don't feel bad. I used 27" 1080p monitors for a long time. I'm 50 and my eyes are not as great as they used to be, so for me, 1080p on a 27" monitor is fine. Some people think it's too pixelated. If it is possible, I would highly recommend that you go to a store or shop that sells them, and sit in front of a few different monitors including a 27" 1080p before you buy, because you don't want to buy it and then find out that "eh, that's too big for that resolution for me or too big of a monitor for where it has to sit in distance from me.

To be honest, if you are going to use it with a pair of 17" monitors, I would stick to 24" probably. Again, going to LOOK and get a feel for it is probably the best idea if that is possible.

Solution
Sep 27, 2020

To be honest, if you are going to use it with a pair of 17" monitors, I would stick to 24" probably. Again, going to LOOK and get a feel for it is probably the best idea if that is possible.
Makes sense, thanks for all your help

You are welcome. And once you sit or stand in front of a couple of monitors of different sizes and resolutions, and decide what will be most favorable for you and your eyes, and the distance the monitor will sit from you, then we can decide which model that meets those specs is the best choice, within your budget of course.

TRENDING THREADS