[SOLVED] Help choosing correct modem

Mar 23, 2021
I'm moving to old (1989) row house next week and just ordered new connection 50mbps for it. The connection requires VDSL2 modem and the connection is done so that from modem with RJ11 cable to phone adapter which goes on wall socket.

9674684006430.jpg

I'm looking few modems available in Europe (Scandinavia):

TP-LINK TD-W9970 ADSL2+/VDSL (cheapest and has good reviews)

Asus DSL-N16 ADSL2+/VDSL (not easiest to use and bit mixed reviews)

TP-LINK Archer VR300 Dual-band ADSL2+/VDSL

TP-LINK Archer VR400 V3 Dual-band ADSL2+/VDSL

Asus DSL-AC51 Dual-band ADSL2+/VDSL

All these models has VPN pass. I'm going to be using Private Internet Access when i'm browsing etc. and my ISP connection when i`m playing multiplayer fps matches. For some reason the cheap TP-Link some owners have had high pings / jumping pings.

Is there any model of these that would be superior to others or some other well known EU model?

Thanks for any help!

Solution
First thing to check is what modems/routers the ISP says will work with their system. Some VDSL installs use 4 wires instead of 2 so that jack won't work on those systems.

Most router reviews are worthless..especially wifi related ones. The house makes a huge difference and many people have bad reviews based on how they tested. When you have end consumers with no technology knowledge reviewing stuff they might as well have said nothing. All vendors have units that fail.

The DSL part of the router is actually fairly simplistic so if the line quality is good I doubt there is much difference. DSL is so slow compared to modern router technology I suspect they will all run about the same.
First thing to check is what modems/routers the ISP says will work with their system. Some VDSL installs use 4 wires instead of 2 so that jack won't work on those systems.

Most router reviews are worthless..especially wifi related ones. The house makes a huge difference and many people have bad reviews based on how they tested. When you have end consumers with no technology knowledge reviewing stuff they might as well have said nothing. All vendors have units that fail.

The DSL part of the router is actually fairly simplistic so if the line quality is good I doubt there is much difference. DSL is so slow compared to modern router technology I suspect they will all run about the same.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS