[SOLVED] Help choosing CPU

May 28, 2020
Hello everyone,

So I recently upgraded my GPU to a Radeon RX 590, not knowing anything about bottlenecks or anything like that, I never knew it had to kind of "match" the cpu to work properly.

My problem now is that i don't want to spend a lot more money on the computer but I have an am3+ motherboard with a max of 95w, so for what I know the best valuable option I have without having to change the motherboard is to get an Amd FX-8300. But is that worth the money I'm going to spend on it? Or should I spend more and get a cheap am4 motherboard and a Ryzen 5 1600 or 2600 cpu?

I don't really do much with my computer other than sims 4 with all the expansions and many gb of cc, but I like playing it on ultra settings.

So what would be my best value for money option?

Thank you very much for your help :)

My current specs:
PSU: 750w
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 850
GPU: Radeon RX 590
RAM: 8gb DDR3
Motherboard: (can't remember the actual model but socket am3+ 95w)

Solution
I would not spend a dime on a FX upgrade.
FX 8300 cores are slow, perhaps 20% faster than your current x4 850.
More of them helps, but not that much.
Past that, it takes a Better than average motherboard to run a 8 core FX processor.
Mainly because most average motherboards lacked sufficient vm cooling.
CPU-Z will identify your motherboard.

Unfortunately a upgrade to current gen ryzen or intel will not only involve a cpu and motherboard change, but you will need ddr4 ram also.
I would not spend a dime on a FX upgrade.
FX 8300 cores are slow, perhaps 20% faster than your current x4 850.
More of them helps, but not that much.
Past that, it takes a Better than average motherboard to run a 8 core FX processor.
Mainly because most average motherboards lacked sufficient vm cooling.
CPU-Z will identify your motherboard.

Unfortunately a upgrade to current gen ryzen or intel will not only involve a cpu and motherboard change, but you will need ddr4 ram also.

Solution