Help choosing gaming laptop $1500 - $2000

vertigo791

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2012
I'm looking to purchase a gaming laptop and would like some help and advice. My price range is $1500 - $2000, i could go a little over if needed. I'd like to have intel i7 or i9 9th gen, gpu with 8gb, 15.6in screen and would prefer to have a numpad. I have been looking at ASUS and MSI laptops and have read some concerns with quality in the reviews. I havent been able to find exactly what I want and thought I would ask the community. Any help, advice and suggestions are welcome.

I would worry less about quality, which seems fairly low until the 2000+ ranges and more about thermal issues.

These gaming laptops nowadays thermal throttle all the time. I would just try and read and watch reviewsand pick whatever has the best specs and can stay cool.

Personally I think gaming laptops are kinda a scam due to their high price to performance and lack of upgradbility and it's better to have a gaming computer and a cheap thin work/school laptop.

vertigo791

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2012
Thank you for the response and you bring up some valid points. I travel a lot for work and it isnt feasible to take a PC with me on flights. I do realize the best scenario would be to game on a PC however gaming laptops do have their uses and advantages in certain scenarios.

Thank you for the advice, I will read reviews looking for cooling issues.