Help choosing general purpose laptop

Kayeye

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I'm trying to get a laptop as a gift for my niece and with all the choices, it's hard to pick one. I saw a couple that stood out to me and I see one that appears to have better specs, yet it's cheaper than the other. I wanted to get some insight as to whether Acer 5 is a better choice. Also, if there are any other recommendations besides these 2, I'm willing to hear it. She's starting High school this year, so I don't think she'll need anything fancy. As far as gaming, she might do some light gaming but I don't think that'll be a priority. Also, there is no specific budget I have in mind.

BTUL3Rp.jpg

Kayeye

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I've seen lots of recommendations for the E15, so I'm leaning more towards that at the moment. Although I did mention I don't have a budget, I think anything beyond that would be overkill for her use. I saw a recommendation in another thread for the Acer Swift 3 SF315. Would either of you recommend the E15 over the swift 3?

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Acer Swift 3 is actually a premium laptop that comes in multiple sizes and configurations

but the model you're looking at is just tiny bit better better than the Acer Aspire 5s in terms of performance, and not capable of gaming.

So, if you're on tight budget then get the E15. It might not be as slim as newer laptops but has performance equivalent to some 1000$ laptops.

Or spend little bit more and get the best performance and Portability.

Acer Swift 3 15"

Kayeye

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks, I'll probably stick with the E15 in this case. There is about a $300 gap between the 2, but based on all the reviews, it seems like a solid laptop which should handle what she needs it for.