Question Help choosing new GPU

jaredhammel

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Hello all, I recently decided to get back in to computer gaming and plan to rebuild my rig after I get my fat bonus next year. Until then I would like some opinions on a new GPU. I don't game at 4k and never plan to. I do want to be able to make the games look as good as possible. And I would like the GPU to be viable to have in my updated rig next year. I prefer AMD over NVIDIA (I might be a fan boy) but if the price and preformance are right I might willing to go green. I will have about $400 for the GPU. My setup is away from the family and fan noise in not an issue for me. Thanks for any help!

My current specs are:
GPU: AMD XFX R9 208x
CPU: AMD FX 8350 OC to 5.0 GHz stable at 55C under load
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair 5 Formula Z
RAM: 32Gb DDR3. Don't remember the details of the ram :/
PSU: Moduler 1550w gold rated

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Price/Performance, no to all of them. If that is the goal you need to drop back down to the RX580 8GB or I suppose the GTX1660Ti now.

Vega64 was never worth it. It is only now kind of worth it now that you can get them for a little over $400. Vega 56 was considered the AMD alternative to the GTX1070. Vega64 couldn't reach the GTX1080 or the GTX1070Ti. They don't overclock well and you can push a Vega56 to nearly as fast as a Vega64 I believe by simply tweaking the memory speed like 50Mhz. (AMD pushed the core clocks to the max, so there isn't much to gain there)

Radeon VII has greatly improved clock speeds, and double the memory (not all that useful but hey, marketing numbers) You could call that a Vega 60 with higher clock speeds. It outperforms the Vega64 of course. But still falls short of GTX2080 or GTX2080Ti (And even the GTX1080Ti). So while it is a bit cheaper it also performs less well then the top cards now.

jaredhammel

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Thank you both. The 56 does sound enticing with free games. I may hold out and same the money for when Navi come out and just build a new rig. It's been a few years since I played on the PC.