[SOLVED] Help choosing right motherboard and RTX 2080

thomas2911

Commendable
Nov 19, 2017
Hello, I need some help to chose the right motherboard and gpu for this build (moderate overclocking)
https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/28qxBb

ASUS: ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING (245€) + ROG-STRIX RTX2080-O8G-GAMING (947€)

MSI: MEG Z390 ACE (262€) + GeForce-RTX-2080-GAMING-X-TRIO (838€) / GeForce-RTX-2080-DUKE-8G-OC (813€) / GeForce RTX 2080 VENTUS 8G OC (805€)

GIGABYTE: Z390 AORUS ULTRA (255€/210€amazon warehouse) / Z390 AORUS MASTER (286€) + AORUS GeForce RTX™ 2080 8G (860€) / GeForce RTX™ 2080 GAMING OC 8G (748€) / GeForce RTX™ 2080 WINDFORCE OC 8G (845€)

Asus seems a bit too expensive, so I prefer the other two brands but I can't decide between them. In order to have a complete control of all RGB features on the GPU, the motherboard need to be of the same brand and whould I use to different software or I can control everything from the mobo one?
Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
I wont go in-depth researching all of the available parts, but here's what you need for a beast:
  • A motherboard that support dual channel RAM memory,
  • DEFINITELY has PCI-e x16, (maybe even two if you'd want to have 2 GPUs),
  • at least 3-4 USB 3.0 ports (In case you want to game in VR)
  • Preferably 4 RAM slots
  • correct CPU socket (LGA 1151 is intel standart if I remember correctly)
Here's what you need to choose the best GPU:
  • CUDA core amount
  • High memory/clock frequencies
  • HDMI out, if you need it (I've seen some cards have only displayPorts of DVI-D) Also, VR only works with HDMI.
  • At least 8gb VRAM
Actually, getting expensive stuff doesn't mean you'll get the best performance. I have the sh***iest...

Zackyy

Commendable
Apr 24, 2017
I wont go in-depth researching all of the available parts, but here's what you need for a beast:
  • Preferably 4 RAM slots
  • CUDA core amount
  • HDMI out, if you need it (I've seen some cards have only displayPorts of DVI-D) Also, VR only works with HDMI.
  • At least 8gb VRAM
Actually, getting expensive stuff doesn't mean you'll get the best performance. I have the sh***iest motherboard one can get for a gaming PC and it never failed me. Don't bother spending a lot on a motherboard if you don't need the OOMPH that only they can give you.

Solution

thomas2911

Commendable
Nov 19, 2017
wrong link
fixed
  • Preferably 4 RAM slots
  • CUDA core amount
  • At least 8gb VRAM
Actually, getting expensive stuff doesn't mean you'll get the best performance. I have the sh***iest motherboard one can get for a gaming PC and it never failed me. Don't bother spending a lot on a motherboard if you don't need the OOMPH that only they can give you.
All have the same features you listed, since we are taking of the latest gpu and mobo. What changes is minimal: factory OC and cooling system on GPU and extras on mobo (VRM quality, few extra slots and connectors, more stability in OC)