Help choosing scanner for larger pictures

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

I do photo restoration, and lately I've needed to digitize several old
11"x14" pictures. My 2 flatbeds will not suffice. Could someone recommend
an oversize scanner that is reasonably priced?

Thank you,

jake

"Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I do photo restoration, and lately I've needed to digitize several old
> 11"x14" pictures. My 2 flatbeds will not suffice. Could someone
> recommend
> an oversize scanner that is reasonably priced?
>
> Thank you,
>
> jake

Do a Search on Ebay.com for "a3 scanner" without quotes.

This search got 14 scanners for sale.
http://search.ebay.com/a3-scanner_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

I see several Mustek A3 scanners for around $165.
A3 is 11 3/4 x 16 1/2 inches American.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Why not just do 2 or 3 scans & then stitch up with panavue?
Unless you got hundreds to do?

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

> "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I do photo restoration, and lately I've needed to digitize several old
> > 11"x14" pictures. My 2 flatbeds will not suffice. Could someone
> > recommend
> > an oversize scanner that is reasonably priced?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > jake
> >

> Do a Search on Ebay.com for "a3 scanner" without quotes.
>
> This search got 14 scanners for sale.
> http://search.ebay.com/a3-scanner_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8
>
> I see several Mustek A3 scanners for around $165.
> A3 is 11 3/4 x 16 1/2 inches American.
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

"BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why not just do 2 or 3 scans & then stitch up with panavue?
> Unless you got hundreds to do?
>

> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >I do photo restoration, and lately I've needed to digitize several old
> > > 11"x14" pictures. My 2 flatbeds will not suffice. Could someone
> > > recommend
> > > an oversize scanner that is reasonably priced?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > jake

That is a good suggestion, and I have used Panavue a few times. However, I
am not always successful getting a truly seamless product, especially on
high-resolution, closely-cropped portraits. I would appreciate any tips or
suggestions on how to use the product more effectively, as I would prefer
this method to a large-format scanner if I could totally eliminate the seams
of the stitched areas.

jake

On large pictures I use my digital camera and get great results. You just
have to be careful on how the picture is lighted and that you don't get
reflections.

> "BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Why not just do 2 or 3 scans & then stitch up with panavue?
>> Unless you got hundreds to do?
>>

>> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> That is a good suggestion, and I have used Panavue a few times. However,
> am not always successful getting a truly seamless product, especially on
> high-resolution, closely-cropped portraits. I would appreciate any tips
> or
> suggestions on how to use the product more effectively, as I would prefer
> this method to a large-format scanner if I could totally eliminate the
> seams
> of the stitched areas.
>
> jake

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

This is what I have been doing, too. I have an Olympus C5050, 5.1mp camera
that does an excellent job. However, Photoshop's tools will act/react
differently depending on the method of source material, so there are times
when a scan is preferable, or at least it would be nice to have both
options. And you're exactly right: evenly distributed lighting is the
critical factor, and for a restoration that will be processed by a good lab
at 11x14 or larger, lighting differences that are virtually imperceptible at
the time of import will become nagging problems. Some studio portraits from
the '70s that were printed on certain types of "satin" finishes are the
worst. It's amazing how easily these photos pick up glare. In such cases,
scanning is a huge time-saver.

jake

"Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
> On large pictures I use my digital camera and get great results. You just
> have to be careful on how the picture is lighted and that you don't get
> reflections.
>

> "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Why not just do 2 or 3 scans & then stitch up with panavue?
> >> Unless you got hundreds to do?
> >>

> >> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

> > That is a good suggestion, and I have used Panavue a few times.
However,
> > am not always successful getting a truly seamless product, especially on
> > high-resolution, closely-cropped portraits. I would appreciate any tips
> > or
> > suggestions on how to use the product more effectively, as I would
prefer
> > this method to a large-format scanner if I could totally eliminate the
> > seams
> > of the stitched areas.
> >
> > jake

Found this one in "another forum:"

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

It *may* work better for you.

"Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Why not just do 2 or 3 scans & then stitch up with panavue?
> > Unless you got hundreds to do?
> >

> > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> That is a good suggestion, and I have used Panavue a few times. However,
> am not always successful getting a truly seamless product, especially on
> high-resolution, closely-cropped portraits. I would appreciate any tips
or
> suggestions on how to use the product more effectively, as I would prefer
> this method to a large-format scanner if I could totally eliminate the
seams
> of the stitched areas.
>
> jake

A couple of tips that might help you. I don't know what or how you are doing
I find if I allow plenty of overlap. Don't scan just to one point & then
start the next scan from that point.
For instance if I want to do a landscape covering a full 180 degrees, then I
might take 20 photos of about 40 degrees each. Just make sure you take them
all quickly before the clouds or light conditions change.
Probably doesn't apply to doing pictures but I'd still do a good overlap.
Next thing is to position the "pins" manually & put the first ones as far
apart on the seam as you can