Help choosing Solid State Drive!

xerb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
I am currently looking for a solid state drive that is CHEAP (~$140 MAX after mail in rebate) and around 120gb for my PC. I am going to be using this solid state drive either for storing games, demanding softwares such as After Effects, etc or as my boot drive. I, also, plan to use this ssd for Fraps, recording videos, which requires high WRITE speeds. Currently I have 64GB Zalman sata 2 SSD as my boot and a 250GB HDD. Although I have a sata 2 motherboard, I'm still thinking about getting a sata 3 just in case in the future I get a sata 3 motherboard.

Currently I am looking at the Patriot Pyro 120GB $119.99 AFTER MAIL IN REBATE
http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Memory-Solid-Drives-PP120GS25SSDR/dp/B005DSPIFG/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1329681107&sr=1-1

Any Help is appreciated, thanks

Current System specs:
AMD Phenom ii X4 955 3.4 GHZ
MSI GF615m-p31
8GB DDR3 Ram
Radeon 4870 512mb
600w Power Supply
Zalman 64GB SSD
250GB Seagate HDD (showing signs of failing)

LordConrad

Distinguished
First, backup and replace your failing Seagate drive!

That Pyro looks like a good drive, but your write speeds will be reduced when recording videos. The Pyro uses a Sandforce controller which relies on data compression to achieve high write speeds, and recorded video is already compressed. Write speeds should be fairly high with most other data types.

xerb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

Yeah, actually my Seagate doesn't have any important files...just random video files that I have recorded. Anyway the new SSD im getting is going to replace my old HDD.

Actually the part where you talk about compression and sandforce controller confused me. Fraps actually does NOT compress the video files when saving, according to some research that I have done. I have noticed that by looking at the size of a 1 min. video file which is around 4GB (that is why I need a drive with high write speeds).

Does this mean, if I select the option "compress files to save disk space" under drive options in Windows 7, make my SSD faster?

xerb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

Thanks for the advice, but...the Samsung 830 is expensive around $200 for 128GB, and the Crucial M4 has slow write speeds.

LordConrad

Distinguished

DO NOT enable "compress files to save disk space" on a Sandforce SSD. The SSD does it's own compression (it's built into the hardware and you can't change it).

If Fraps truly is saving uncompressed video, than the Pyro will write Fraps video a very high speed.

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
The OCZ drive from microcenter seems to have better write speeds. I listed the crucial because it has been known to be more reliable than OCZ models. On ebay I was able to catch a good deal as opposed to retail other sites selling it for 170 or so.

xerb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

Got it, thanks. I have a JMicron SSD (Zalman 64GB) right now...so would it be a smart idea to enable compressing?

xerb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

Yeah, that was my first thought. I'm trying to avoid OCZ right now because of the reliability issues. Crucial seems to be the next option for reliability.