Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
I'd like to add an extra SSD to my PC :

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
  • CPU: i5-4690k
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970
  • Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Current SSD: Sandisk Ultra II 240gb

I was looking at NVMe drives but wasn't too sure if my motherboard supports it ?
I essentially want the fastest bang for buck SSD that'll see real improvement in gaming, and of course one that my motherboard supports.
Any suggestions ?

Thanks !

Solution
Here's a QVL for the board you own. On that note, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for the motherboard. You should be able to drop in PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD's in that board's M.2 slot but I'd stick to the QVL since the platform is old, much older than today's architecture to ensure that you won't see any hiccups with the latest SSD on that old board.

Lutfij

Titan
Here's a QVL for the board you own. On that note, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for the motherboard. You should be able to drop in PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD's in that board's M.2 slot but I'd stick to the QVL since the platform is old, much older than today's architecture to ensure that you won't see any hiccups with the latest SSD on that old board.

Solution
Oct 8, 2020
I'd like to add an extra SSD to my PC :

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
  • CPU: i5-4690k
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970
  • Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Current SSD: Sandisk Ultra II 240gb
I was looking at NVMe drives but wasn't too sure if my motherboard supports it ?
I essentially want the fastest bang for buck SSD that'll see real improvement in gaming, and of course one that my motherboard supports.
Any suggestions ?

Thanks !
I would suggest you to be with your old buddy, as they can be very stubborn with new generation.

TRENDING THREADS