Aug 25, 2019
hi! im a Informatics Engineering student in spain. this is gonna be my third year and i really need to change my (very) old laptop. Ive seen a question template here so im going to answer them so you can help me
n
1. What is your budget?
less than 3000 euros

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15 or 13 inches. If 13 i'd buy an extra display included in budget

3. What screen resolution do you want?
its not overriding

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
i need it to be portable, im going to need it at college

5. How much battery life do you need?
like screen resolution, its not overriding, now im using a laptop with a broken battery so i have to be charging it almost all the time

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
i barely play videogames. Only something like the sims, stardew valley or minecraft, but just occasionally

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
i like photo manipulation, and i do video editing or animation with adobe suite, but just like a hobbie
My main work with the laptop is coding, designing apps and programs...

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
id like to have at least 1TB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
its not important

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
ive been using my actual laptop for 6 or 7 years, so i expect my new one to last at least 5 or 6 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
none of them is needed

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
i was almost convinced to buy a Dell new XPS 15, or the Dell XPS 13 7390. I have decided to discard the 2 in 1 XPS because of its availability in Europe and its low energy CPU

But lately ive thought if i want to develop apps in ios or macOs im going to need a macOs device. Also, all I read about macBooks are flattery comments: battery life, performance, graphics...

Im open to other devices and advices

13. What country do you live in?
spain

Thanks for reading all of this and for the help
(srry for my bad english btw :( )

Sagar_20

Distinguished
If 2-in-1 functionality is important, then Hp Spectre x360 and Lenovo Yoga C930 could be great options.

Microsoft Surface Book 2 is also a nice hybrid laptop but it lacks Thunderbolt-3.

For video editing, you are going to need a dedicated GPU, which you will only get in the high end models of MS Surface book 2 and the 4k model of HP Spectre 15.

but you can also consider the latest Dell Inspiron 7591 that comes with either 3 GB GTX 1050 or 4 GB GTX 1650.

It's probably the lightest gaming laptop in the world, and also supports RAM upgrade unlike majority of the 13 inch laptops, which is important for windows based video editing.

If video editing and longevity is your prime concern, you'd be better off with a Macbook Pro.

Though keep in mind it's 13-inch models come with only 8 GB of RAM; you might want 16 GB.

Reactions: larrosa8
Aug 25, 2019
If 2-in-1 functionality is important, then Hp Spectre x360 and Lenovo Yoga C930 could be great options.

Microsoft Surface Book 2 is also a nice hybrid laptop but it lacks Thunderbolt-3.

For video editing, you are going to need a dedicated GPU, which you will only get in the high end models of MS Surface book 2 and the 4k model of HP Spectre 15.

but you can also consider the latest Dell Inspiron 7591 that comes with either 3 GB GTX 1050 or 4 GB GTX 1650.

It's probably the lightest gaming laptop in the world, and also supports RAM upgrade unlike majority of the 13 inch laptops, which is important for windows based video editing.

If video editing and longevity is your prime concern, you'd be better off with a Macbook Pro.

Though keep in mind it's 13-inch models come with only 8 GB of RAM; you might want 16 GB.

Thank you so much for your answer. I'm watching the Macbook Pro 2018 with students price, but in the coming days, apple is going to present new products, so ill wait till the new devices came out

Im also considering this dell, wich is a bit more expensive but doubles the macbook RAM and SSD

I vote MacBook. Also the Apple presentation will not likely be about the MacBooks as the air and pro have recently been refreshed. Will be about iPhone, watch, likely the Mac Pro and the OS’

(If you’re doing video editing Final Cut would be a wise buy too)