[SOLVED] Help choosing UPS

manolaren

Honorable
Oct 11, 2015
Good Evening.

I have a computer for children with an intel i7 870 cpu, gpu amd HD 6970 2GB, 2x4GB DDR3 RAM, 2 hard drives (1 ssd and 1 hdd) and a 24 '' led screen which they use for both school and light gaming. I would like to ask what size ups is enough. Finding the consumption through https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator I see that it produces max 460 watts. Do you think that an 800va / 480w is enough or better to go to a 1000va / 600w? I do not care if it lasts too long, just as it lifts the load and lasts 1-2 minutes so that we can turn off the computer.

CPU: Intel i7 870
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-D PRO
Ram: 2x4GB DDR3 GSkill Ripjaws
SSD/HDD: 1 SSD 250GB WD Blue / 1 HDD 7200 1 TB WD
GPU: HD 6970 2GB
PSU: Corsair Gold 650w
Chassis: NZXT
Monitor: Asus 24''

That's all :)

Last edited:
Solution
PCPartPicker Part List

UPS: APC BX1500M UPS ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $164.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-07 23:22 EDT-0400

At your loads that'll give @ 15 minutes of run time. (that's plenty to get homework saved and shutdown without breaking anything trying to run through the house) It's @ $10± more than the bx1000m, and cutting back on budget closer to $100 gets you @ 1 minute at full loads and @ 8 minutes at ½ load for the 500-600w models. Considering the cost of replacement (and the aggravation that will ensue considering current pricing and availability of decent parts) if disaster should strike, it's cheap insurance.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

The suggestion on your UPS purchase will depend on the power draw of the system and the wattage of your PSU + the monitor. Where are you located and what sort of brands do you have access to for an UPS purchase?

Reactions: manolaren

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
When you look at the specs for the UPS you are considering, in addition to the VA and max WATTS load rating, it SHOULD tell you the TIME it will keep that max watts feeding to your load. The better makers may even tell you the time it can sustain a smaller load. You believe you have a good load estimate for your system. Assuming you canot do an actual measurement, use that in conjunction with those UPS specs.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
PCPartPicker Part List

UPS: APC BX1500M UPS ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $164.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-07 23:22 EDT-0400

At your loads that'll give @ 15 minutes of run time. (that's plenty to get homework saved and shutdown without breaking anything trying to run through the house) It's @ $10± more than the bx1000m, and cutting back on budget closer to $100 gets you @ 1 minute at full loads and @ 8 minutes at ½ load for the 500-600w models. Considering the cost of replacement (and the aggravation that will ensue considering current pricing and availability of decent parts) if disaster should strike, it's cheap insurance.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS