Help choosing what type of mass storage drive I should get? SSD, SSHD, or HDD?

123sesame

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
My PC build is for gaming, streaming, and some video editing. I want to be able to play games at 1440p60+fps 144hz. Also, it is not necessary but, I want to play most of my games in their highest settings since I've always played most of my games in their lowest settings due to my potato machine. Video exports will be 1080p60fps as I don't intend of making that much editing. And streaming will be 720p since it will be my first time streaming.

Budget for this build is $2500 MAX. If there is something that I should change, feel free to let me know as I am open to any feedback. Located in the USA btw.

For this build, I am planning on upgrading the cooler to a custom loop so no overclocking at the moment. What I really need help with is choosing a mass storage drive, 2tb preferred (open to higher storage capacity), and possibly maybe switching the cpu cooler for a cheaper one since I won't be doing any overclocking any time soon but do need to try to keep the 8700k cool as temps do tend to be high with this cpu. Thanks and remember, I am open to any changes you think I should make.

Components I've purchased:
i7 8700k
Maximus Formula X
960 EVO 500GB
EVGA G2 850W

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($380.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.49 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($400.00)
Memory: Team - Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($200.00)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($195.00)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($800.00)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($160.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.00)
Total: $2288.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Solution

As you may have surmised, I'm not really a fan of the SSHDs. They are, at best, an interim thing between HDD and SSD.
Swap the CPU cooler for cheaper, and swap the case for cheaper...you can probably squeeze in an SSD for the secondary drive.

123sesame

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014

So an sshd wouldn't be recommended? Right now, I have a seagate barracuda 7200rpm for mass storage. Are sshd's slower than my barracuda?

USAFRet

Titan

In some use cases, and SSHD can be 'faster' than a regular HDD.
But generally not for a secondary drive.

With a secondary drive, you don't read the same blocks all the time. So whatever new data is read at HDD speed anyway.

123sesame

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014

Alright I see what you mean. I am a casual gamer and that's what I mostly do in my free time with my PC. And most of the games I play will be in my secondary drive. So would you say that maybe I can benefit from an sshd or should I just stick with an hdd?

USAFRet

Titan

As you may have surmised, I'm not really a fan of the SSHDs. They are, at best, an interim thing between HDD and SSD.
Swap the CPU cooler for cheaper, and swap the case for cheaper...you can probably squeeze in an SSD for the secondary drive.

Solution