rubydoog

Prominent
Sep 8, 2018
Hello there,

So my gpu just fried, I can say I was a sad. It lasted more than 6 years, with heavy use almost every day.
And now I'm in search for a new gpu.

current specs:
  • i5-3450 3.1Ghz 4 cores no hyperthreading
  • 12GB ddr3
  • PSU RM850i Corsair
I only play at 1080p, games like Space Engineers, Fallout, Skyrim, some Civ and I'm waiting for the yet to be released Mount&Blade: Bannerlord.
I also have a 1440p monitor but only use it 2 months per year for games.

TLDR: Searching for budget gpu for 1080p gaming, 1440p is optional, consider only if the price is very close.

Some gpu prices in my country for reference:

305€ GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
260€ GTX 1660 SUPER OC 6GB
250€ GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB
238€ GTX 1660 OC 6GB
180€ GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB
310€ RX Vega 56 8GB
185€ RX 580 OC 8GB
165€ RX 570 OC 8GB

(edit 1)
added PSU, corrected ram from ddr4 to ddr3

Last edited:
Solution
It's a quite substantial step up on ability. But no one can really predict the future, and it doesn't run exactly close to past history. If you look at today's photo-realistic games compared to what was out 5 years ago, 10 years ago, then add stuff like RTX, it's closer to exponential leaps in graphics needs.

But also it depends on your personal gaming, what expectations are etc. Naturally the 1660s or ti stand a greater chance of lasting longer, but if you play the same game for the next 5 years, your gpu needs aren't going to change. Some ppl upgrade every other generation because they just have to gave the next next-gen games, at ultra settings.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Wide range of prices there. The GTX 1650 Super is the best bang for the buck if you want to save some money. I just added one to an older rig I still have. Amazing!
1080p 60Hz (60 fps almost guaranteed) gaming is fast and smooth. Darn near keeps up with my RX 590. Check out some "vs" reviews and see what you think.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't bother with OC versions, that's easy enough to do with PrecisionX, which comes with the gpu. No point in spending extra unless you are absolutely against pushing a button to get a faster gpu.

Don't bother with Amd unless you are sure you have ample psu, especially for the Vega56. It's spikes are unreal.

I'd be looking at either of the supers or the ti, depending on just what you'd feel justified spending. But the 1660s/ti will do better at 1440p.

rubydoog

Prominent
Sep 8, 2018
Don't bother with OC versions, that's easy enough to do with PrecisionX, which comes with the gpu. No point in spending extra unless you are absolutely against pushing a button to get a faster gpu.

Don't bother with Amd unless you are sure you have ample psu, especially for the Vega56. It's spikes are unreal.

I'd be looking at either of the supers or the ti, depending on just what you'd feel justified spending. But the 1660s/ti will do better at 1440p.
I added my psu to the build, do you still prefer the 1660 s/ti?

rubydoog

Prominent
Sep 8, 2018
Wide range of prices there. The GTX 1650 Super is the best bang for the buck if you want to save some money. I just added one to an older rig I still have. Amazing!
1080p 60Hz (60 fps almost guaranteed) gaming is fast and smooth. Darn near keeps up with my RX 590. Check out some "vs" reviews and see what you think.
The 1650 super benchmarks are quite interesting, it can even do some ultra 1440p at 48fps in witcher 3, and can ultra 1080p almost every game.
But is the 1650s performance going to last me another 6 years?
The fried gpu was a 760 and some newer games I couldn't even play at lowest configs at 1080p.
If the 1650s is going to last like the 760 I think I'm sold.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a quite substantial step up on ability. But no one can really predict the future, and it doesn't run exactly close to past history. If you look at today's photo-realistic games compared to what was out 5 years ago, 10 years ago, then add stuff like RTX, it's closer to exponential leaps in graphics needs.

But also it depends on your personal gaming, what expectations are etc. Naturally the 1660s or ti stand a greater chance of lasting longer, but if you play the same game for the next 5 years, your gpu needs aren't going to change. Some ppl upgrade every other generation because they just have to gave the next next-gen games, at ultra settings.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, it's all about how much you want to spend.
The 1650 super benchmarks are quite interesting, it can even do some ultra 1440p at 48fps in witcher 3, and can ultra 1080p almost every game.
But is the 1650s performance going to last me another 6 years?
The fried gpu was a 760 and some newer games I couldn't even play at lowest configs at 1080p.
If the 1650s is going to last like the 760 I think I'm sold.
Last? It will last as long as any other card. If you mean future-proof. No. No card is that. Again, it depends on what you want to spend. The new RX-5500 XT is in the same price range as the GTX 1660s when you compare 4GB cards. And slightly faster. The 8GB version of the 5500 jumps in price, tho. Both have similar power envelopes, so any good quality 500W PSU will be more than enough. But if you game at anything above 1080p, you'll probably want one of the 6 or 8GB cards... and maybe move up the food chain to the 1660s instead.

With only 12GB of system RAM, anything above 6GB might begin to eat away too much at the sys ram. And keep in mind that the aging Ivy Bridge quad core is nearing its max with the 1650s or 5500 xt anyway. Bottleneck wise I mean.

Last edited: