HELP! Clean install, but now I can't boot from my SSD.

machjava

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Like the title says, I recently wiped my computer to start over fresh. I formatted my 1TB HDD, my secondary 120gb SSD, and then clean installed over my C: drive SSD containing my OS (Windows 8.1).

However, after further inspection, I noticed that in my BIOS, it was now booting from "Windows Boot Manager" which I had never seen before. I can select my SSD as the first boot option, but it sends me to a screen telling me to insert boot media. I can only boot through the manager option.

My boot options in Windows tell me there is only one OS, Windows 8. With all hard drives disconnected other than the SSD my OS is on, there are three partitions on the drive. A reserve, a recovery, and a primary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me nuts!

Motherboard: Asrock z77 Extreme 4

Solution
My Windows Boot Manager/Loader entries (on a Lenovo Yoga running Windows 8) are identical to yours (except the GUID values, of course).

With BIOS configured to boot to Windows Boot Manager, does the computer boot to Windows 8 without interruption (prompts or delay/timeout)? It should since your Windows Boot Manager timeout is set to 0 (seconds). This is normal for a single operating system install.
I checked my Lenovo's BIOS boot config...it is set to boot from: Windows Boot Manager (Samsung MZMTD256HAGM-000L1). This is the factory default configuration.

I think you are in fact booting from your SSD. Windows Boot Manager/Loader is responsible for booting to Windows on your SSD. With your BIOS configured to boot to Windows...

MotleyCrew

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
Try this:

■Boot into Windows (through the boot manager option).
    ■Open a command prompt.
    ■To do so, go to the Start screen and start typing Command Prompt.
    ■Right-click Command Prompt in the search results list.
    ■In the list of options that appears at the bottom of the screen, click Run as administrator.
    ■Click Yes at on the User Account Control prompt.
    ■At the command prompt, type bcdedit >\bcdedit.txt. This will create a text file at the root of the currently selected drive. You can tell which drive is selected by looking at the path in the command prompt.
    ■Open the text file you just created and copy its contents.
    ■Paste the contents into a response to this thread.

D

Deleted member 217926

You needed to have only the SSD meant to be ( C: ) connected when you installed Windows. Install it again with the data drives disconnected and you will be fine.

NastyNes

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013

I second this.

machjava

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2
path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {c9aa71e5-5f09-11e3-bd16-a8403a2b4d17}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 0

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.efi
description Windows 8
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {c9aa71e7-5f09-11e3-bd16-a8403a2b4d17}
recoveryenabled Yes
isolatedcontext Yes
allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {c9aa71e5-5f09-11e3-bd16-a8403a2b4d17}
nx OptIn
bootmenupolicy Standard

machjava

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

I made sure to do that, removed both hard drives and then ran windows setup to remove the rest of the data on my C: drive before install.

MotleyCrew

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
My Windows Boot Manager/Loader entries (on a Lenovo Yoga running Windows 8) are identical to yours (except the GUID values, of course).

With BIOS configured to boot to Windows Boot Manager, does the computer boot to Windows 8 without interruption (prompts or delay/timeout)? It should since your Windows Boot Manager timeout is set to 0 (seconds). This is normal for a single operating system install.
I checked my Lenovo's BIOS boot config...it is set to boot from: Windows Boot Manager (Samsung MZMTD256HAGM-000L1). This is the factory default configuration.

I think you are in fact booting from your SSD. Windows Boot Manager/Loader is responsible for booting to Windows on your SSD. With your BIOS configured to boot to Windows Boot Manager, does Windows boot even if the only connected disk is your SSD?

Hope that's helpful!

Solution

machjava

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Hey, thanks for the help!

Windows does boot fine, it's just that I'm used to seeing my SSD as the boot device in my BIOS, the Windows Boot Manager threw me off. So if it's booting fine from that, I'm good to go?

Also, with Ultra Fast Boot selected (My two 670's are capable of UEFI GOP Boot), my boot time isnt drastically different from the standard "Fast" option. Is that normal, or am I expecting too much?

Thanks again!