Help computer shutting down! Tried everything I've seen!

Adam Cooper

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
Ok first off, not sure where to post this. So mods please move it to where you see fit.

I built my computer about 2 months ago (income tax) and it ran perfectly for me for about 2 1/2 weeks, around the second week of March. After that it started shutting down on me randomly, (I say randomly, I've pretty much narrowed the scenarios down though). It has shut down on me while idling the game World of Tanks, in the garage screen. It has shut down while downloading anti-malware/spyware, and anti-virus programs. Here recently I started "trying" to emulate ps2 games (ones that I own but my ps2 is currently out of commission), and it worked fine up until yesterday, when it shut down on me twice in a row, and it has also shutdown on me while playing videos (youtube was where it happened at). It never has happened while the gpu or cpu was under load, (the emulator doesn't use more than 50% cpu, so I wouldnt consider that under big stress)...I have been racking my brain for the past month on what the hell this is. I have taken it to a microsoft certified technician, who apparently "just got back in the game" (he was recommended by a good friend), and after 4 days, it was racking his brain as well. My temperatures never go into the red, which from what I read is 70C+ for my cpu. I have updated all my drivers using MSI's live update 5, and also using Advanced system care 7.2. Hoping to god that would have fixed the random shutdowns.

When it shuts down I get a blinking power button in the front, and cannot reboot my system until I switch the power in the back off, and let the system bleed out. Afterwards it will boot up just fine, with the exception that I get a "computer did not shut off cleanly" screen, and a Kernel power critical event in my event logs. I have ran a diagnostic on my RAM and that isnt the issue, I have reseated them anyway, along with reseating my cpu 3 times. I run stock no overclock, (minus the "auto-kick-in turbo" that I have been informed that it was normal and not the problem.)

Please help I spent alot of my money building this, and I really dont have the money atm to make another trip to the store I bought it from...Which is why im HOPING this is a software issue :(

Here are my specs:
CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-core 3.5GHz 4.1Turbo
MOBO: MSI 970A-G43
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 OC'd version
PSU: LEPR 500w
HDD: 1TB WD
DISC: ASUS

Currently am running fully stock, no overclock, with 1 case fan, which runs fine. Spins up during load like normal, and spins down during idle.