Help! concerning i7 and motherboard

xeresium

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Hello Fellow Tom's Hardware users,
Recently I purchased a i7 920 and the gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R. There are two problems that I am concerned with.

When I put the cpu into the slot and push the pins down to lock it in place, I heard a crack combined with a squeezing noise. I checked the pins on both the cpu and the mobo and there seem not to be any broken or slighted pins.

Once I connected the psu, harddrive, and ram and ensuring all the wires are connected, I pressed the power on button and nothing happened.

So according to my friend, I fried my motherboard, I have carpet, but no socks on. Does nothing happening mean the mobo is fried or there something wrong w/ the cpu? I wonder what any of you fellow users think? I did a RMA with my motherboard; would I still get it if I cut out the serial code for a rebate? Also, I have until the 24-25 to replace my cpu at microcenter as DOA, but should I? The crack noise that I heard is worrying me.

Sorry for this long post but it been on my mind for week.

The cpu only fits in the socket one way. If it fell in and the 2 grooves lined up correctly, then it should be ok. First, I would place the board on a phonebook or cardboard box and do a bare post. Just one stick of memory, video card, cpu/heatsink and maybe the keyboard and mouse connected. Then connect the 24 pin atx and 8 pin 12v connections from the power supply and the monitor vga plug. Touch the power switch pins with a flathead screwdriver and the board should post. The hold down clamp won't even close if the cpu was positioned wrong in the socket. That cracking sound could have been something else.