Help configuring two ASUS RT-AC68U's for IPTV

krillokrokodil

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
Hi everyone!

I am not very good at this and trying to figure out how I can get IPTV working without running cables all over the house.

Here is my desired setup:
I2GGLeG.png

Tha Bahnhof switch is my ISPs switch, downstairs out of reach for TV. To that is my first router connected. I can connect the second router with the media bridge function but then my IPTV box claims there is no internet. THere is though, checked with other units. I do however think the TV stream is hiding in a multicast stream or whatever that is. Problem is, when setting the second router in media bridge mode I loose the IPTV tab under LAN where those settings are.

Maybe I am not thinking about this the right way, any help appreciated.

Solution
Without reading the manual I would bet it does not have the feature you need. There are 2 types of bridge mode. Client and server. The server version is more commonly called AP mode and like a router it allows end clients to connect to it. This is the more common bridging mode routers have.

If your router has client-bridge mode you must select that. It generally requires you set up WDS also both on the main and remote routers. This varies a lot since WDS is a security issue some routers do not enable it by default while other do.

Some manuals call this mode repeater because they also have the option to repeater the wireless. There really is not standard.

I suspect though the router does not have the feature. You may...
Without reading the manual I would bet it does not have the feature you need. There are 2 types of bridge mode. Client and server. The server version is more commonly called AP mode and like a router it allows end clients to connect to it. This is the more common bridging mode routers have.

If your router has client-bridge mode you must select that. It generally requires you set up WDS also both on the main and remote routers. This varies a lot since WDS is a security issue some routers do not enable it by default while other do.

Some manuals call this mode repeater because they also have the option to repeater the wireless. There really is not standard.

I suspect though the router does not have the feature. You may be able to load the asus merlin firmware and get it. This is a version of dd-wrt and the main version of dd-wrt has the client-bridge feature.

Solution