Help controlling systemfan2 (Speedfan)

bigemu1

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
I really need some help here. I'm completely in the dark as to why I cannot control my second system fan, when the other is working. I am using a MSI 770-G45 motherboard.

I have everything connected by the book, no jumpers, no external fan control or PWM splitter, nothing. Just a CPU fan (Hyper 212) and two 3-pin case fans connected directly to the system fan slots (1 and 2) on the motherboard. One in the front (intake - systemfan1) and on in the back (exhaust - systemfan2).

I loaded Speedfan. Located all 3 fans with no issues, and their respective RPM's (so it is clearly detecting/relaying information fine). It will allow me to adjust my CPU fan speed, and also my exhaust case fan. However, it will not allow me to adjust my intake fan (systemfan2) by adjusting the PWM. At first, I figured it was just the fan I had connected, because it was different than the exhaust fan that was working. So I replaced it with the same brand (Scythe). Exact same fan... still didn't work. Now I have a Scythe fan running at max RPM's and it sounds like a damn vacuum cleaner.

I loaded up the bios, and didn't see any real controls for the fans. Under H/W Monitor, there's a selection to control (voltage I guess?) of system fan 1 (options for 100%, 75%, and 50%) but that doesn't help with systemfan2. I also noticed in the bios it is clearly detecting and registering the RPM's of both fans fine.

So now what?

A fan controller is always an option if you can't get speedfan or the bios to control fan two. As you say in both speedfan and the bios you can see the rpms and can control the other fans but not fan 2 so if you can't get then to work for you then you have to explore other options.

bigemu1

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Bah, I was hoping someone wasn't going to say that. Maybe I'll try flashing new bios. It seems very unusual for there to be two systemfan ports on the motherboard with only controls for 1 in the bios...

bigemu1

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Didn't work. Got the USB Flash Drive out and used M-Flash to update to the latest version. Still not showing a SYS FAN 2 CONTROL.

I might try calling MSI tomorrow.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

TRENDING THREADS