Question Help - Cooler Master RGB fans, pre installed on MasterBox 530 - trying to connect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2019
Hello there,

I am hoping someone can help me out - it's been 20 some years since I built a computer - some things seems easier now, some harder.

I have a Cooler Master MB530P case with 3 pre-installed RGB fans. The system has an ASUS TUF X299 Mark 2 motherboard. I'm trying to connect the various front panel cables from the case to the mobo. Cooler Master's directions seems to be only a foldable paper (like a city map) that just shows hardware screws, etc. I can't find anything on line for the cables.

I think I largely have it figured out, but, the pre-installed fans are confusing. From the fans there are the following:

1) Each one has a cable (looks like ending in 3 pins) that are tied to a splitter/adapter that has a molex power connector. It seems this should go to the PSU periphery.

2) Then there are the cables in the image attached.

3) There is also a SATA power connection coming off the front panel where the "RGB controller" button is.

Note, the Mark 2 motherboard has an "AURA SYNC" chip on it, but, no header for an RGB controller. Thus, it seems that the RGB controller button is what will be used. In this case, I believe the approach should be -

A) Fan power - connect the molex power to the PSU.
B) RGB/Controller power - connect the SATA power to the PSU
C) Don't connect the other cables shown?

Any help would be great.

hnqr7e.png

Mar 10, 2019
I guess adding a little more - I am guessing the cable that came plugged into the ASUS tagged cable out of the splitter above should be plugged back into the same cable? In this way the switch on the front panel will control the RGB?

I don't have an RGB connection on the motherboard.

chibamarco

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
They are ADDRESSABLE RGB cable. You need an ADDRESSABLE RGB Header on your motherboard to make them work. (Which your MoBo doesnt have.)

An alternative case would be the Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 RGB, which has traditional RGB headers.

Mar 10, 2019
Thanks Chibamarco for the quick reply.

Would it be safe then to just only hook up the power to the PSU and let them run for now? The Cooler Master box said there is a controller in the case - which I am assuming to be the little button built into the front panel.

I think if I were to change the case, I would just more likely upgrade the motherboard.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, these are fans containing ADDR RGB type lighting modules, and those can only be used with a controller of that type. You are correct - the mobo has no such controller. Thus you SHOULD use the case's system to control those lighting devices.

Each of those fans has TWO cables coming from it. ONE of these ends in a 3-pin connector that clearly has the spacing for four pins in a straight line, but Pin #3 is missing. Your photos show that clearly on the connectors marked for use with ASUS mobos. It happens that the case makers decided to use that connector type for their own internal wiring from the case's controller in top front to the Splitter that can power three RGB units. So yes, connect the cable coming from the top front interior of the case to that Splitter.

Each fan also has a separate cable ending, you say, in a 3-pin fan connector (female with 3 holes) about 3/8" wide and with two ridges running down one side. You say all three are connected to an adapter/splitter that allows you to power all fans from a single 4-pin Molex power output from the PSU. That WILL get good cooling, BUT you will have no control of the fans - they will always run full speed. As an alternative, you can connect them to mobo CHA_FAN headers which can continuously and automatically adjust the fan speeds according to measured temperatures inside your case, and this will cause less noise. To do this you will need a fan SPLITTER because you have three such fans, and only two mobo CHA_FAN headers. This simple 2-output Splitter (or one like it) would help that

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-12-423-161-_-Product

or this 3-output one can allow you to connect all three fans to a single CHA_FAN header if that makes wiring routing easier.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-12-423-163-_-Product

Both of those Splitters are of the 4-pin design, but WILL work just fine also for 3-pin fans. However, assuming the fans really ARE 3-pin type, you will need to make a small adjustment in BIOS Setup for EACH of the CHA_FAN headers you use. See your mobo manual on p. 3-7. For each CHA_FAN header, choose the header on the left list, and then change its configuration at top right to use the DC Mode instead of PWM Mode. When done, back out and remember to SAVE and EXIT so your new settings are saved. This configuration is the only way to control the speed of older-design 3-pin fans.

Mar 10, 2019
Perfect! This confirms what I was thinking.

I put the PSU in test mode and powered up the front panel controller & fans and voila it works.

Many thanks for the very helpful reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.