help! corrupt files!

knight0

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001
hi
my files are becoming corrupt when i move them between my 2 hard drives. any idea why this is happenning? this only happens when i move large files, like around 50 MB. could it be because one is 5400 rpm and the other 7200 rpm? i have the Western Digital 100GB and the IBM-DJNA 13GB. is there a fix? thanks for any help.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by knight0 on 12/24/01 11:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
might be a problem with your motherboard, and might be a problem with the ide cables, and might be a problem with the drives...
what you should do is check the connections, run disk diagnostics, and then let us know what is going on...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

knight0

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001
i have the ASUS A7V133, so it is the VIA chipset. is that the problem? is there a fix? also, how does the sound card come into play. i actually do own the SB Live.

Peekay

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
Oooh! I have a similar problem as well. My current setup is:

- VIA P4X-266 motherboard
- P4 1.8GHz (478 pin)
- 20GB maxtor hd (primary), 80GB maxtor hd (secondary)
- PC2100 512mb ram

Ok so that is for reference ... whenever I download files from the net or try to install software from a CD, it always ends up being corrupt. I tried swapping ethernet cards, I took out my 20gb (the 2 year old hd) and made the 80gb (which i bought recently) primary and it still did not solve the problem, oh and I played around with a bunch of different IDE cables. Both maxtors are 5400 RPM...but it looks like there is a problem with the motherboard? Anyone's help is greatly aprecciated...thank you.

svol

Champion
Go to <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com" target="_new">http://www.viahardware.com</A> they have a special FAQ about the so called '686b bug' which can give problems with SB Live!. I also advice that you disable the COM/LPT ports if you don't use them to free up some IRQ's, that worked for me (I also have the 686b Southbridge).

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

knight0

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001
thank you, thank you, thank you! :) i went to that site and downloaded the fix. i also updated my motherboard's BIO's. the corrupting of files seems to be fixed. and it figures that it was due to my SB Live card. that sound card has been giving me nothing but headaches.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually that chipset also had problems with other cards, specifically Aureal based soundcards, certain SCSI and network cards, some modems...but the Live agrivated these problems the worst.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?