HELP! CPU fan unbearably loud, since I got a new case?

iixwh3l4nxii

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I just got a nice Antec 900 and spent HOURS setting it up, anyway everything is nice but my CPU FAN IS SUPER LOUD

it starts out ok and then VROOOOOOOMMMMMMM like a fkin motorbike

Now I know what you're thinking, but no, the cooling is perfect, in fact I have even turned off the CPU fan by pulling the connector out, so I'm just relying on the side intake/exhaust fans at the top to do the cooling, I'm at 30degrees average right now with NO cpu fan, I think that tells you it's not overheating...

But yes, if I plug it back in VROOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM unbearable noise, the only thing I have changed is the case my computer is stored in since I last booted it, what the hell? PLEASE tell me how to turn the fan down :(

theres something wrong with your temperature sensors if you are at 30C with no cpu fan. Im pretty sure any desktop cpu would overheat without the fan spinning.

I actually don't know what the issue could be unless you changed motherboards or something else.

iixwh3l4nxii

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
You should see the antec 900 XD, it's got a near-industrial level 200mm fan directly above the CPU and I've turned the 120mm next to the CPU into an intake, remember all my CPU fan does is blow air over the heatsink but in like an 80mm size and less power, but i would rather have it running just for security.

Barritio

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Is the cpu fan plugged into the m/b or a fan controller. If it's on the m/b, go in to your boss and ensure that the fan speed is set to auto, not 100%. Also, are you sure that 30 degrees doesn't relate to ambient temp rather than cpu temp?

Wouldn't recommend running pc without cpu fan running at all.

If all else fails, make sure that the cpu hs&f is still sat on the cpu properly, and that it hasn't come loose in the transfer go your new case. You may need to reseat it with some fresh thermal paste.

Good luck!

Barritio

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Also, you haven't removed the fan and put it back on have you? If so, did you put the airflow in the right direction? Pushing air on to hs is louder than pulling it off.

iixwh3l4nxii

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah it had a pot thing on it to draw air from the top of my old Acer case, but obviously it would just be hitting the sidewindow and getting no air, but i res-set it perfectly, it's pushing air over the heatsink

And yes I'm using CPU-Z, I got about 20-30 degrees with the fan on in my old case, I trust it and also my 200MM exhaust is pulling cold air, so don't worry, all is k but tomorrow I'm gonna plug the fan back in and look in the bios.

This is an Acer E946GZ motherboard, it's an ancient mobo so I doubt it will have CPU fan speeds, I hope it does though

(I can't do it now cus it's almost 1am and I have other people to consider.)

iixwh3l4nxii

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Ok I went into the bios. changed all the settings etc, made no difference.

I unplugged the fan while the system was ON and put it back in and the problem was fixed, I checked the bios for my fan RPM and it was now at a steady 1200RPM instead of 4500RPM.

Strange.