Question Help... CPU heat up immediately after startup.. no load.

Sep 5, 2024
Me and my son built our first gaming PC just last week. It was working great but suddenly last night, when he tried to boot up the system, the CPU temperature began to climb up to over100c before the system shut itself off. We quit all applications, so no load, yet CPU temp continues to just climbs up. I have tried removing the AIO pump and redid the thermal paste, did not help. Checked for kinked hoses, nothing. All fans are on and working. I suspect it might be the AIO cooler pump has died but would it still display the pump RPM on the small display screen though, if the pump is not working? I'm at a loss.

Also have 3x 120mm fans for intake on the front, 2x 140mm fans on the bottom for intake, 1x 120mm fan on the back for exhaust along with the AIO on top for exhaust.

In addition to the CPU overheat, I also did notice "08" on the code display of the motherboard as well, not sure if this is contributing to the problem or if this is just another problem. Checked all cables and connection is solid. So have no idea what could cause this.

I have not updated the BIOS since the install, as it started up and working with everything but could that be the problem, after a week of working flawlessly??

I'm a total noob, so any advise/assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I thank everyone in advance.

All gear purchased brand new in July/August 2024:

CPU: AMD 7800x3d
CPU cooler: Lian Li Hydroshift 3650R AIO
Motherboard: Gigabyte x670e Aorus Master AM5
BIOS: F21
Ram: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 64GB total (2x 32 GB DDR-5 6000 PC5-48000 CL30 Dual Channel)
SSD/HDD: Samsung Pro 990 2TB PCIE Gen 4x4 M.2 SSD
GPU: Asus TUF RTX 4070 Ti Super OG OC edition 16GB GGDR6X
PSU: Seasonic Prime GX-850, 850W 80+Gold
Chassis: NZXT H6 flow
Monitor: Acer 1080P

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The impeller could be broken, but the motor still spinning. In that case you need to reach out to Lian Li for a replacement unit.

AIO can experience an air lock and still show RPM as well. Rotate the system through several axis of rotation, and start stop it several times to see if it is just a bubble stuck in there.

Installation orientation also matters. The pump should not be at the top of the system. If installed in the top of a system, it should be fine. When installed at the front of a system, the radiator should be higher than the pump/block. If installed in the bottom of the chassis with the pump/block sitting above the radiator, that will accumulate bubbles in the pump.

Reset the BIOS to defaults just to be sure there isn't some wacky over voltage condition happening. Make sure any software that can control CPU voltage like Ryzen Master is not running.

Latest posts