[SOLVED] (Help) CPU heats up to 100c as soon as i turn it on.

Apr 26, 2020
So I turned my pc on and within seconds of it turning on it shoots to 100c . It crashed and then I tried checking the bios but i only get like 1min to do so before crashing. I reapplied thermal paste and the aio seems to be running. (hand checked to feel the vibration.) I don't know what to do. I was using it last night with zero issues.

PC specs:
Ryzen 2700x
Asus b450I itx
corsair H80i Vs
Gigabyte rtx 2070 windforce

Solution
Tilt the pc very slowly so that the pump is lower horizontally than the rad. Any trapped air should run the tubing and allow the pump to he primed. Hold it (brace it on books etc) in that position for a good 5 minutes then turn on the pc. The pump should prime and temps level off.

That's if coolant levels have dropped sufficiently to render the aio next to useless. If less than 5 years old, should be covered by warranty.

The other explanation is algae. It can (very seldom) form in the coolant and block the microfins. This means the pump still works, but has no liquid to flow. Again, check warranty.

Under normal circumstances, even with total pump motor failure, you should have several minutes before temps get out of hand. With the...
Apr 26, 2020
Even an AIO with a non working pump with some liquid left would not get that high instantly. You sure the AIO contact plate is touching the CPU correctly?
That was my first check, I took the cpu cooler off which was fully attached. Then I cleaned it and reapplied paste. the cooler was placed fully onto the cpu after and I had the same issue. Worked for a minute longer though. (don't know if that says anything)

Apr 26, 2020
I do plan on going to my local microcenter to obtain another soon. I am due for a slight upgrade. I was thinking that it could be a possible air bubble however I have no idea how to fix that or even figure out if that is the issue.

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Single-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series™-H80i-v2-High-Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060024-WW#tab-tech-specs

Cooling Socket Support

Intel 1150/1151/1155/1156
Intel 2011/2066
AMD AM3/AM2
*Purchase bracket CW-8960046 on CORSAIR webstore for compatiblity with AMD socket AM4

Did you buy the Bracket CW-8960046 on the corsair webstore? If not then you're using the AM3 bracket on an AM4 socket and this is why you're seeing 100C.

Apr 26, 2020
https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Single-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series™-H80i-v2-High-Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060024-WW#tab-tech-specs

Cooling Socket Support

Intel 1150/1151/1155/1156
Intel 2011/2066
AMD AM3/AM2
*Purchase bracket CW-8960046 on CORSAIR webstore for compatiblity with AMD socket AM4

Did you buy the Bracket CW-8960046 on the corsair webstore? If not then you're using the AM3 bracket on an AM4 socket and this is why you're seeing 100C.
Thats interesting I never knew that I have not purchased any other bracket but it also been 9 months with no issues?? I looked at the manual with the cooler and it has a specific socket for AM4 with the installation guide in it so I think its the correct one.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Tilt the pc very slowly so that the pump is lower horizontally than the rad. Any trapped air should run the tubing and allow the pump to he primed. Hold it (brace it on books etc) in that position for a good 5 minutes then turn on the pc. The pump should prime and temps level off.

That's if coolant levels have dropped sufficiently to render the aio next to useless. If less than 5 years old, should be covered by warranty.

The other explanation is algae. It can (very seldom) form in the coolant and block the microfins. This means the pump still works, but has no liquid to flow. Again, check warranty.

Under normal circumstances, even with total pump motor failure, you should have several minutes before temps get out of hand. With the pump working, no flow is due to blockage or ruptured diaphragm or low coolant level. All of which is covered I believe by Corsair warranty.

I'd contact Corsair, if the aio is still under warranty you may be able to rma with upgrade and pay minimal difference.

Solution
Apr 26, 2020

Under normal circumstances, even with total pump motor failure, you should have several minutes before temps get out of hand. With the pump working, no flow is due to blockage or ruptured diaphragm or low coolant level. All of which is covered I believe by Corsair warranty.

I'd contact Corsair, if the aio is still under warranty you may be able to rma with upgrade and pay minimal difference.
If it was not the pump and it was working fine what would be the next issue by chance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Coolant. Either the level is too low or it's formed algae and blocked the fins. There's enough passive cooling ability in the rad that idle/bios shouldn't see shutdown temps in seconds if both the fans quit.

The only other possible thing I can think of is a bunk temp sensor in the cpu itself, and bios is reading hottest core. If you can get a cheap cooler, or have the original Wraith, a temporary swap will tell. If it's the cpu, you get identical results no matter what cooler is used. Thermal shutdowns in seconds. If it's the aio, the temporary cooler will work as it's supposed to.

Apr 26, 2020
Coolant. Either the level is too low or it's formed algae and blocked the fins. There's enough passive cooling ability in the rad that idle/bios shouldn't see shutdown temps in seconds if both the fans quit.

The only other possible thing I can think of is a bunk temp sensor in the cpu itself, and bios is reading hottest core. If you can get a cheap cooler, or have the original Wraith, a temporary swap will tell. If it's the cpu, you get identical results no matter what cooler is used. Thermal shutdowns in seconds. If it's the aio, the temporary cooler will work as it's supposed to.
Awesome thank you for that. I will be retrieving the wraith cooler from my friends in a few days I will try that and provide updates.