[SOLVED] Help! CPU problem or motherboard socket?

Apr 6, 2020
Hi! Helping a friend upgrading his gaming computer. New case, motherboard (Asus TUF B360M Plus), DDR4 RAM and PSU (550w). Old components that will be used in this build is SSD and Intel i5 CPU.
After installing everything according to the manual from the case and motherboard, Im trying to start the computer. It doesnt make a sound or bip, the case fan and cpu fan start for only a few seconds and then shuts off. There is light in the motherboard. After a lot of troubleshooting, switching RAM, PSU, rebuilding, etc, it still doesnt work. There is no RGB light on the RAM sticks. IVe tried the CPU on the old motherboard, and it works great, Ive checked on the pins, and there is no damage. The thermal paste is old, and the cpu fan is old but still works on old PC. Could the temperature or the used thermal paste be a factor for not starting up? The most important found is that when I unplug the 8-PIN CPU Power connector, everything seem to work. The fans are working, RGB on the RAM start lighting up and the LED light on the case works. Both old and new motherboard is LGA1151 socket. The Panel Connectors are right. I really dont understand+?? Ive tried to reset the CMOD and BIOS.. Please help me out guys.

Solution
Tombutu is right on the suggestion, its better to look for a newer core i5, since you bought the Motherboard already and RAM, BUT (BIG BUT)...

If youre friend wants a gaming rig....

If I were in your place I would really consider returning motherboard and the "slow" RAM and getting a decent (and probably cheaper) B450 Motherboard like the MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX or the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX + 2x8GB of DDR4 3200 kit + Ryzen 5 3600. If your friend can go up to the 3600, you can cut some money and get instead the Ryzen 5 2600 (or the Ryzen 1600AF which is basically the same CPU as the R5 2600).
A core i5 is not the best choice right now for gaming, not when theres the R5 3600 or the R5 1600AF...
Apr 5, 2020
I get that they are the same socket but are they compatible. For example I could run a 7700k which is lga1151 but i cant run that with a z390 mobo. In other words is your I5 compatible with a B360 chipset. What is the exact cpu?

Apr 6, 2020
I get that they are the same socket but are they compatible. For example I could run a 7700k which is lga1151 but i cant run that with a z390 mobo. In other words is your I5 compatible with a B360 chipset. What is the exact cpu?

The CPU are following: i5-7400 CPU 3.00GHz, 3001 Mhz 4 Cores, if this doesnt work, could you recommend me a motherboard for under $150 (budget) that will suit this CPU, and a CPU that does suit the motherboard.

Apr 5, 2020
First off, Compatible*, and secondly no. Why would you go ahead and buy your parts and BUILD the system without checking compatibility especially if your friends paying for them. If I were you I'd return you parts and have your friend buy a prebuilt in his budget. Neither of you two seem to have much experience

Apr 6, 2020
First off, Compatible*, and secondly no. Why would you go ahead and buy your parts and BUILD the system without checking compatibility especially if your friends paying for them. If I were you I'd return you parts and have your friend buy a prebuilt in his budget. Neither of you two seem to have much experience

Such a nice guy :) First thing first, thanks for correcting me. I live in Norway, so english is not my strongest part. Second, I was asking for help, not critics. I have built two computers for my own use, and for some of my other friends. Yes, I failed this one. Thanks for rubbing that into my face. Intel systems are new to me, so yeah I kinda failed that part. I am studying CyberSecurity, so I really dont give a damn about computer builds, just trying to help a friend out. Learning new things everyday. And about the money, that is not the problem. I was kindly asking you to recommend a motherboard for under the price tag at 150$. I have an extra build that my friend can borrow while Im waiting for the new components. The waiting time should not be a problem considering gaming and looking at a screen 24/7 is not everything here in life. You seem to be a very strange guy, it seems to me that you are wasting your time on correcting others instead of helping.

Reactions: Peet98
Apr 5, 2020
I am trying to help your friend not you. If you think its ok to experiment with other peoples money then you have other problems besides your mobo. Anyway any 200 series mobo should work. Find one you like and has features you want and you should be good

Apr 6, 2020
Hi, check this: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-B360M-PLUS-GAMING/specifications/

and this: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-B360M-PLUS-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/

There it shows that the Core i5-7400 is not "compatible" with that motherboard. Even if the socket looks the same and the CPU fits and close inside it.
Welcome to Intel, we charge you more than it cost, and then "change" socket like others change thier underwear (very, very, very often).

Thanks for good help! I've learned something new today :p Im going to get a compatible motherboard for his CPU.

Reactions: RodroX
Apr 6, 2020
I am trying to help your friend not you. If you think its ok to experiment with other peoples money then you have other problems besides your mobo.

Haha you are one of a kind. You really think that I am experimenting on other peoples money? You know that in Norway all retail stores by law have a 30 day open purchase? I can return this tomorrow, and get it within next week. He is not going to lose any money, and if he would, I would have paid him off, no questions. I dont really think that you have a lot of experience helping out your irl friends, do you? At least your first impression says something else.

Apr 5, 2020
Haha you are one of a kind. You really think that I am experimenting on other peoples money? You know that in Norway all retail stores by law have a 30 day open purchase? I can return this tomorrow, and get it within next week. He is not going to lose any money, and if he would, I would have paid him off, no questions. I dont really think that you have a lot of experience helping out your irl friends, do you? At least your first impression says something else.
Sorry first impression showd you as the type to try to do random things for fun and not care about money, my mistake. Im also having some problems with my system so Im slightly annoyed. Youre a good man and helpful, stay that way!

Apr 6, 2020
Sorry first impression showd you as the type to try to do random things for fun and not care about money, my mistake. Im also having some problems with my system so Im slightly annoyed. Youre a good man and helpful, stay that way!

All good man. Hope your problem with your system gets solved.

Apr 6, 2020
Yeah just make sure that the motherboard can surrport your ram and good luck and hope your friend likes his gaming comp!

Ive got everything right besides that his old CPU are not compatible with the motherboard. The motherboard does only support 2666hz, and Ive got him that right xd. I almost went for the 3200hz but that would be waste of money considering that the motherboard would only accept 2666hz.

Apr 5, 2020
Ive got everything right besides that his old CPU are not compatible with the motherboard. The motherboard does only support 2666hz, and Ive got him that right xd. I almost went for the 3200hz but that would be waste of money considering that the motherboard would only accept 2666hz.
You may have some trouble getting ahold of one, idk how it is in norway but here sometimes the older it can be pricey

Apr 6, 2020
Sorry my auto correct butchered that. What i was trying to say was it can be hard to get old chipset motherboards and they can be pricey.

Ah I see, so you recommend buying a new CPU? That would maybe be easier actually. Also, the old CPU is old and well used. He had in mind upgrading later actually

Reactions: RodroX