[SOLVED] Help! CPU problem or motherboard socket?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 6, 2020
Hi! Helping a friend upgrading his gaming computer. New case, motherboard (Asus TUF B360M Plus), DDR4 RAM and PSU (550w). Old components that will be used in this build is SSD and Intel i5 CPU.
After installing everything according to the manual from the case and motherboard, Im trying to start the computer. It doesnt make a sound or bip, the case fan and cpu fan start for only a few seconds and then shuts off. There is light in the motherboard. After a lot of troubleshooting, switching RAM, PSU, rebuilding, etc, it still doesnt work. There is no RGB light on the RAM sticks. IVe tried the CPU on the old motherboard, and it works great, Ive checked on the pins, and there is no damage. The thermal paste is old, and the cpu fan is old but still works on old PC. Could the temperature or the used thermal paste be a factor for not starting up? The most important found is that when I unplug the 8-PIN CPU Power connector, everything seem to work. The fans are working, RGB on the RAM start lighting up and the LED light on the case works. Both old and new motherboard is LGA1151 socket. The Panel Connectors are right. I really dont understand+?? Ive tried to reset the CMOD and BIOS.. Please help me out guys.

Solution
Tombutu is right on the suggestion, its better to look for a newer core i5, since you bought the Motherboard already and RAM, BUT (BIG BUT)...

If youre friend wants a gaming rig....

If I were in your place I would really consider returning motherboard and the "slow" RAM and getting a decent (and probably cheaper) B450 Motherboard like the MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX or the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX + 2x8GB of DDR4 3200 kit + Ryzen 5 3600. If your friend can go up to the 3600, you can cut some money and get instead the Ryzen 5 2600 (or the Ryzen 1600AF which is basically the same CPU as the R5 2600).
A core i5 is not the best choice right now for gaming, not when theres the R5 3600 or the R5 1600AF...
Apr 5, 2020
Ah I see, so you recommend buying a new CPU? That would maybe be easier actually. Also, the old CPU is old and well used. He had in mind upgrading later actually
Yes because in the long run its not worth buying an old motherboard for a old cpu. It will be cheaper if you keep the one you have and buy a cou for that in his price range rather than buying another cpu and mother board later

Apr 6, 2020
Yes because in the long run its not worth buying an old motherboard for a old cpu. It will be cheaper if you keep the one you have and buy a cou for that in his price range rather than buying another cpu and mother board later

Yeah, I will talk with him. That sounds like a better choice.
And btw, in my defence, on the retail webshop they do in fact specify that the TUF MB does support i5 CPU, but they do not say anything about what versions
Screen-Shot-2020-04-07-at-01-57-18.png
. https://www.komplett.no/product/100...asus-tuf-b360m-plus-gaming-s-1151#productinfo

So I will contact them tomorrow, and it will be issued a complaint case

Apr 6, 2020
Yeah, I will talk with him. That sounds like a better choice.
And btw, in my defence, on the retail webshop they do in fact specify that the TUF MB does support i5 CPU, but they do not say anything about what versions
Screen-Shot-2020-04-07-at-01-57-18.png
. https://www.komplett.no/product/100...asus-tuf-b360m-plus-gaming-s-1151#productinfo

So I will contact them tomorrow, and it will be issued a complaint case

Not weird I got confused :S but yeah, next time I will double check with the manufactures

Tombutu is right on the suggestion, its better to look for a newer core i5, since you bought the Motherboard already and RAM, BUT (BIG BUT)...

If youre friend wants a gaming rig....

If I were in your place I would really consider returning motherboard and the "slow" RAM and getting a decent (and probably cheaper) B450 Motherboard like the MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX or the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX + 2x8GB of DDR4 3200 kit + Ryzen 5 3600. If your friend can go up to the 3600, you can cut some money and get instead the Ryzen 5 2600 (or the Ryzen 1600AF which is basically the same CPU as the R5 2600).
A core i5 is not the best choice right now for gaming, not when theres the R5 3600 or the R5 1600AF (this last one can be found on amazon sometimes for only ~ U$90, which is an insane price for its performance!!!).

You can check LinusTechTips, HardwareUnboxed, Jay2Cents, Paul's Hardware, TechDeals for tons of building guides for gaming (and they all recommend the Ryzen 5 as the best prcie /performance gaming GPU today).

Just something to keep in mind

Cheers!

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 5, 2020
Hi! Helping a friend upgrading his gaming computer. New case, motherboard (Asus TUF B360M Plus), DDR4 RAM and PSU (550w). Old components that will be used in this build is SSD and Intel i5 CPU.
After installing everything according to the manual from the case and motherboard, Im trying to start the computer. It doesnt make a sound or bip, the case fan and cpu fan start for only a few seconds and then shuts off. There is light in the motherboard. After a lot of troubleshooting, switching RAM, PSU, rebuilding, etc, it still doesnt work. There is no RGB light on the RAM sticks. IVe tried the CPU on the old motherboard, and it works great, Ive checked on the pins, and there is no damage. The thermal paste is old, and the cpu fan is old but still works on old PC. Could the temperature or the used thermal paste be a factor for not starting up? The most important found is that when I unplug the 8-PIN CPU Power connector, everything seem to work. The fans are working, RGB on the RAM start lighting up and the LED light on the case works. Both old and new motherboard is LGA1151 socket. The Panel Connectors are right. I really dont understand+?? Ive tried to reset the CMOD and BIOS.. Please help me out guys.
[/QU
your cpu might not be supported by your motherboard try to update the bios if this didnt work for you try to install an older version