Question HELP! CPU Replaced, Blank screen!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CRT120Hz

Commendable
Apr 11, 2022
Dear All

I inserted my new CPU in to the PackardBell today, and my worst fears were confirmed: The PC screen did not light up!

I saw the motherboard and it is indeed an ACER motherboard. Please see attatched images

Here is some additional writing on the motherboard:

Acer Inc. e1
H67H2-AD

Please can you help me identify the motherboard through acer, and the available BIOS updates for this motherboard

I really need your help!

Thanking you,

Ray

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
what do you mean it has an older graphics card "elsewhere"? You have an older graphics card elsewhere in your house? Or there is a graphics card already attached to your board?

can you show me a picture of your board?

Reactions: CRT120Hz

CRT120Hz

Commendable
Apr 11, 2022
According to the manual page 47

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/892901/Packard-Bell-Onetwo-L5860.html?page=47#manual

there is a graphics card in a casing elsewhere. There is only one unfilled pcie slot on the motherboard.

I don't have the pictures of my motherboard on this phone. I factory resetted it yesterday!

That's why I was pondering whether I can add in another graphics card in the pcie slot without removing the other one

I will see what I can do.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
need to see a pic of your motherboard first, the one where the i7-2600k is installed before I make further comment.

there is only one pcie slot on your board, and that's where a graphics card will go if you will buy one.

CRT120Hz

Commendable
Apr 11, 2022
Sure, I retrieve the images and send them. In the meantime, from what I can see from the manual, my current graphics card is connected via a HDMI cable and not to a pcie slot which is strange.

I'm wondering if I could maybe leave that one in and add the better gpu 1030 to the pcie slot.

Alternatively, in your experience , does the 1030 connect to a hdmi port?

Last edited:

CRT120Hz

Commendable
Apr 11, 2022
Dear @Tac 25
So sorry for the late reply lots of work delayed me.

I have found this image on Google which is the same as my motherboard. I'm still having trouble retrieving my image.

Supposing, I buy a gpu 1030 DDR5 and I insert it into the pcie slot, what do I do with the other graphics card? Should I remove it from wherever it is located? The other graphics card is not connected to the motherboard. I have not seen it yet as I only opened this area to replace the cpu and ram. Thanks😊

acer-packard-bell-h67h2-ad-socket-1155-motherboard-with-backplate-1.JPG

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@CRT120Hz would have been better if I could see your mobo, but that pic should be fine.

anyway, please follow these steps.

1. About the "other gpu" you think is in the pc, but not connected to the mobo. Leave it alone, just don't do anything to it.

2. Are you on Windows 10 64-bit? If yes, then download this driver, this link is safe and goes to the official nvidia website. Yeah, I know 382.33 is an old driver from 2017, but this one is what worked for my GT 1030, so it's safer to start from this. You can update later if you want to.

download it, and put it where it can easily be seen like your desktop. But don't install it if you don't have a GT 1030.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/119399/en-us

3. Assuming you have acquired a GT 1030, I suggest buy brand new to avoid despair (lol). Shut down your pc, unplug the power cord. Insert carefully the 1030 into the pcie slot. Screw it to the side of the case.

4. Important, please be sure to plug your monitor into the gpu.

5. Turn on pc. The desktop will be on very low resolution. But don't worry. You can now double click and install the driver 382.33. Choose Express Install.

6. Pray everything works smoothly.

___

GT 1030 and i7-2600 working together. :)

View: https://youtu.be/JtaZaL6Y7Cc

Last edited:

CRT120Hz

Commendable
Apr 11, 2022
Dear @Tac 25

Thank you so much for these thorough steps! I am so grateful.

I am running on Windows 7 64 bit. I know many people would roll an eye to that but the thing is I upgraded it once to Windows 10. The performance was soo terrible, I had to revert back, and I have not changed the OS ever since. I guess I'm so used to it.

Will the drivers still work for Windows 7 64 bit?

Will the task of computing graphics be shared between both cards?

Thank you once again.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
if you have win 7 64 bit. Then use this instead, it's what my windows 7 pc used last year. Since you have windows 7, Nvidia driver support will be limited, so once you install this, just stick with this one. No need to update it. This is enough to make the GT 1030 work on your windows 7 pc.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/132838/en-us

__

about your "other graphics card". Well, you already said it's not connected to your motherboard.. then just leave it like that. Since it's not connected to the mobo, then obviously it will not share computing tasks. Anyway, when the GT 1030 is installed, integrated graphics will automatically be disabled, and the pc would use only the 1030.

I still have not seen this "other graphics card" you keep mentioning, so cannot make more opinions on it.

Last edited:
you're welcome. Btw, once you get an i7-2600k.. I suggest not to use the hyper threading ability, a program started behaving weird on my pc when I enabled ht. The i7-2600k is already much faster than your old cpu anyway, no need to enable ht.

That's a pretty broad , sweeping non-recommendation to make for folks based on your one app having issues with hyperthreading, considering HT has been in common use for...20 years now? (Let's just say that non-recommend would be an extreme minority opinion, save perhaps from some of the initial Threadripper 1950 users for gaming...4.5 years ago...)

CRT120Hz

Commendable
Apr 11, 2022
I agree with @Tac 25 who has had personal experience with using hyperthreading. Of course, I may not use certain apps which would be affected by enabling it, but I feel its better to be safe than sorry.

Besides, this is processor is much faster in any case. I may never need to turn on hyperthreading, and I am in no hurry to do so. I usually play Microsoft flight simulator and concorde x which actually have lower requirements although a better processor is always reccomended to improve performance. I can already feel the difference in gaming.

I looked at some forums and some users said that hyperthreading causes game stuttering and generates more heat.

Excess Heat is the last thing I need. I was playing some days ago and the fan came on full power and stayed on even after I exited the game. I proceeded to a shut down and thorough the shutdown the fan was still fully on. The screen went black and lighted up momentarily and then went off. That never happened before!

Naturally I was quite disturbed and thought maybe an overheating issue happened. This is what prompted me to do further research on the graphics card replacement

Last edited:

CRT120Hz

Commendable
Apr 11, 2022
Dear @Tac 25

I just wanted to ask, which brand of GPU 1030 should I buy?

I can see that nvidia, Asus, and gigabyte all manufacturer this model.

Does the nvidia driver link only work for nvidia 1030's and is it this company that manufacturers the DDR5 version?

Thanks 😊

CRT120Hz

Commendable
Apr 11, 2022
@Tac 25
Wow! There is something called GPU Z too!

I am currently writing from my phone.

I will definitely run it on my computer when I get back home.

The GPU that you reccomended, is it the short, compact looking one with the fan?

I think gigabyte makes a slightly longer one, that's why I asked.

I looked at some Packardbell disassembly videos: one has a graphics card slotted in the pcie with no fan, another one has it connected via a hdmi cable. The search for my graphics card is driving me crazy! But don't worry, I will leave the old one alone as it is definitely not connected to the motherboard.

Thank you 😊

Last edited:

CRT120Hz

Commendable
Apr 11, 2022
you're welcome.

just to be on the safe side. Can you download this GPU-Z? then use it. Screenshot the result and post it here. I want to see what's on your pc right now.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Dear @Tac 25

I ran GPU - Z and this is what it has to say:

I dont know how to insert images in the forum without using a link so for now I will manually type up some info:

GPU: Sandy Bridge GT2
Technology: 32nm
Jan 5 2011
Die size: 216 mm^2
Memory: DDR3
Bandwidth: 21.3 GB/s
Direct X suppourt: 10.1
GPU clock: 850 MHz
Memory: 667 Mhz
Bus width: 28bit
GPU temperature 40.0 degrees C
0.450V