Question Help! Crashes/freezes screen goes white (or blue, or orange, or flickers)

Dec 18, 2020
Hello! Please help. Computer keeps freezing up.

yesterday 12/17/20 I was trying to get better FPS in cyberpunk. (It has been running just fine all week for hours and hours.) So I changed a few settings in game. Then I also switched profiles in AMD Ryzen Master from creator mode auto OC to game mode auto OC to see if it ran the game better. Windows forced an update feature 20H2 and I think another smaller update. Shortly after this computer crashed while playing cyberpunk. It is a full freeze making me think graphics. I have to manual reset button on the case. Once windows said something stopped working, but gave no error code. Most of the crashes are just freezes and I hit reset.

I have already tried to uninstall the windows update. no fix.

I have already updated the nvidia drivers using geforce experience. At first I express installed. When that didn't work I custom installed with clean install. I currently have the 460.89 release 12/15/20 version. BUT, when the crashing started I was still using the previous version (I don't have the version number but it was previous and I believe came out about a week ago or just before cyberpunk released.

I have attempted MS tech support, so far they have been no help.

A couple things I think worth mentioning. It crashes randomly, I can NOT replicate at will. I can load cyberpunk and play it for 1 min or 15 min and it will randomly crash. It will also crash while just in windows desktop doing nothing, or in browser doing basically nothing though it seems to last longer just letting it sit at desktop or browsing than it does if I attempt to play cyberpunk.

I do not believe it is heat related speccy is showing cpu running 5--55* C under load, and I think GPU only gets up to 65*C under load. It is my understanding that is plenty cool.

I have been running Ryzen Master in creator mode auto OC since I got the GPU (april) with no issues. I have never manual OC or tweaked with any voltage or settings etc. I did switch to game mode from creator mode yesterday before these problems, but I don't think that caused a problem, though I have limited understanding there. Anyway, mostly my point is I haven't had problems with the auto OC for about 8 months and I have never manual oc'd.

This was cross posted to nvidia forums here https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/421720/need-help-crashingfreezing-occuring-rtx2070super-r/

Thank you so much in advance for any help.

I think specs will show up in my sig but I'll add here too.
cpu: amd Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5ghz
mobo: gigabyte X570 auros elite
ram: G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)
gpu: EVGA rtx2070 super xc ultra+
ssd: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2

Dec 18, 2020
Ok, update. It has now crashed during the restoring and reinstalling of windows. I am thinking its hardware now.

How can I isolate and identify which hardware is failing? I can't tell if it is the gpu, cpu, or memory.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS