Help decide between AMD Vega vs NVidea GTX 1080ti

NiteOfMisfortune

Commendable
May 9, 2016
I was dead set on the GTX 1080ti until I found that the monitor I wanted (Samsung 32" CHG70 - 1440p monitor) had a feature called FreeSync 2. Now I am a bit lost between the decision. Having super high framerates isn't as important to me (especially since I play a lot of strategy games) but I don't want to be limited in the titles I play as well as the games I can run in the next 3-4 years.

Thus, My question is; is it worth it to switch to the AMD Vega for FreeSync and a bit of a lower price. I will be running my games in 2k and would ideally like to be able to record them on max settings.

P.S. If someone can explain to me if recording takes a toll on the GPU or CPU that would be great also.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Since you're sticking with 2k gaming, something like a Vega 64 should be fine w/ max settings.

If you plan to move up to 4k gaming however, you would then need at least a 1080 Ti (or better).

There is really no doubt, the 1080ti is better than the Vega 64. In general, the 1080ti will get about 20-30% higher framerates than the Vega 64. The Vega 64 also uses more power than the 1080ti. Performance wise, the Vega 64 is more aligned to the 1080. You really should not compare Vega to the 1080ti, you should compare it to the 1080.

But it is not a terrible card, for the right price. Since Vega's release it has been priced insanely high due to mining. While pricing has come down some, it is not dropped as much as Nvidia's card. A quick check on Newegg, shows the cheapest 64 at $550 while the cheapest 1080 at $450. Performance wise, these cards are very close but Vega cost more.

While gsync does add a premium, high end freesync 2 monitors are not crazy cheap either. Considering the Vega cost more, it will end up being pretty close.

The Samsung you suggested cost $549 on newegg with free sync.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025164

Here is a nice LG monitor with gsync that cost $695.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P06ZP6262&cm_re=gaming_monitor-_-24-025-836-_-Product

So while the gsync monitor is more, so is the Vega 64.

If you want the absolute best, then you have to go with the 1080ti, AMD does not have anything that will get close to it. But, as with the best, it always cost more.

Streaming and recording are CPU intensive task. The more threads on the CPU the better.