Help deciding between PSUs

jsthind

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
Hello,

Going to build myself a gaming PC with the below specs but can't seem to decide on the PSU

Specs:

• Intel Core i5 7th Gen 7500 3.40 GHz
    Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H 7th Gen
    Zotac Geforce GTX 1050 Ti Mini 4GB GDDR5
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 4GB (1x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C14
    Samsung SSD

I have shortlisted the following PSUs. Which one should I go with? How would you rate the these PSUs? Would you recommend something else?

Cooler Master Storm Edition GXII 550W (Rs.5665/-)
80 Plus Bronze Certified
Warranty: 3 Year
100% Japanese Capacitor (Not sure if this makes any difference)

Seasonic 620W S12II-620 (Rs.6350/-)
80 Plus Bronze Certified

Corsair CS Series Modular CS550M 550 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified (Rs.6620/-)
80 Plus Gold Certified

Corsair RM550x 550W Fully Modular (Rs.8645/-)
80 Plus Gold Certified
Warranty: 10 Year
100% Japanese Capacitor

Please note that I am looking for a stable and robust PSU. Modular or high efficiency (unless that leads to increased stability) is not very high on my priority list.

Thanks.

Solution

One of the best sites to visit regarding PSUs that have been thoroughly tested is jonnyguru and the Antec TruePower Classic 750W PSU rates very high however, it is not Fully Modular which is my personal preference.
Go here for the review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=382
The Corsair RM550x 550W Fully Modular gold unit with a 10 year Warranty is what I would go for.
Gold certified PSUs provide for Quality and efficiency which go hand in hand. You will pay a little more but it's worth the investment. Fully modular and high efficiency should be high on your priority list as the PSU is the life blood of your system. If your budget minded then the Seasonic 620W S12II-620 would be an excellent choice.

jsthind

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
Thank you for the responses.

Yes, I went through the PSU tier list before picking these PSUs. That is why I can't seem to decide between the "Tier 2 Seasonic S12II" and "Tier 3 Corsair RM550x". Corsair RM550x seems better than Seasonic S12II (at least on paper) but is still "Tier 3". Why is that?

Regarding my comments about stability and efficiency, AFAIK the only difference between 80 Plus bronze and 80 Plus Gold is that 80 Plus Gold consumes less electricity. Thus being more efficient, but does it also mean that it is more robust? By robust I mean that it is better able to handle over voltage/current. Will a 80 Plus Gold PSU be more robust than 80 Plus Bronze PSU?

Also, does anyone here has any real life experience with PSU warranties? If my PSU breaks down (due to over voltage or similar) will that be covered in warranty?

Oh yes I've had to replace a number of failed PSUs for clients in the past and most are because of budget minded builders who have chosen the cheapest bronze certified unit without proper research. The forum history is also testament to that. Many bronze units fail just after Warranty due to poor quality components.
The tier system is the best method atm but needs revision. Warranty is usually a good indication of a good PSU and Corsair are good with any RMA.
You may not require Tier3 now however, if you update, expand or intend to OC then a lower tier may only last a limited time use and a failing PSU can take other MB components with it.
There are many here who will recommend what they feel you want to here so beware.

jsthind

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

Thanks for the details. I also visited the "PSU Fact" in your signature, so thanks for that also.

One more questions, will Corsair RM550x 550W be sufficient for my needs or do I need to go for a larger rating? In addition to SSD, I also plan to attach a HDD. I am not into overclocking or dual graphic cards.

It depends on what you want to do with your system in the future jsthind. A 650W unit is more adequate for your current needs IMO. An SSD or additional hard drive will be OK too.
It is as you say Overclocking and dual GPU cards that an upgrade would be recommended. Minimum requirement is easy to calculate however future consideration for all the extra peripherals you may want to do is an important consideration.
They all add up and have to be considered and taken into account. Most enthusiasts do eventually want to Overclock and add more cards and peripherals as new AAA games and task intensive programs come onto the market. Choose wisely and you wont regret it.

jsthind

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
As per above suggestions, I went looking for a "80 Plus Gold + Tier 2 + 650W plus" PSU and came up with

Antec TruePower Classic 750W Power Supply (Rs.8820)
80 Plus Gold Certified
Tier 2
Warranty: 5 years

Would you recommend this PSU? Is it better than all the PSUs I listed at the top of the thread.

One of the best sites to visit regarding PSUs that have been thoroughly tested is jonnyguru and the Antec TruePower Classic 750W PSU rates very high however, it is not Fully Modular which is my personal preference.
Go here for the review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=382

Solution

TRENDING THREADS