[SOLVED] Help determining If I can upgrade or should I just make a new PC

TG_Taco

Reputable
Dec 28, 2016
So a friend of mines wants to get into PC gaming and I would love to help him out, he sent me his specs and I wanted to see if we can just by some parts to install into the PC or would we just be better off making a brand new PC

SPECS:
Operating system: Windows 10 Home
Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3500 Processor
Memory: 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM memory (1 x 8 GB)
Internal Storage: 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 Solid State Drive
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 SUPER™ graphics card with 4 GB GDDR6 dedicated memory
Mouse and keyboard: USB Black Wired keyboard and mouse combo
USB ports: 9 (4 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate, 4 USB 2.0 Type-A, 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate)
Wireless: Realtek Wi-Fi 5 (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo, MU-MIMO supported

He's really not that hardcore into games but he wants to be able to run Apex with no stutters

Thanks!

Solution
didn't see the other replies, but I was wondering that these specs do sound pretty good, but he just never tried playing anything on his PC, I really only have to do minor things to his PC. The rest of his specs sound good, but I just wasn't sure about his CPU, like I said previously I've never dealt with AMD processors so I didn't know what it could handle. Again thank you guys alot!

Not hard to find out about the CPU, there are many benchmarks and comparison sites for CPUs. Since he never even tried playing games on the PC that would be the place to start, actually use is before checking for upgrades. The computer is fine as it is for 1080 gaming. A second 8 GB RAM stick may help but I used a system with a single RAM...

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Biggest issue is the one ram stick and that its 2666mhz. The rest of the specs are quite good, but if you are to do anything start with getting at least a dual channel kit of 3200+ mhz!

That's most likely why he is experiencing stutters.

So a friend of mines wants to get into PC gaming and I would love to help him out, he sent me his specs and I wanted to see if we can just by some parts to install into the PC or would we just be better off making a brand new PC

SPECS:
Operating system: Windows 10 Home
Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3500 Processor
Memory: 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM memory (1 x 8 GB)
Internal Storage: 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 Solid State Drive
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 SUPER™ graphics card with 4 GB GDDR6 dedicated memory
Mouse and keyboard: USB Black Wired keyboard and mouse combo
USB ports: 9 (4 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate, 4 USB 2.0 Type-A, 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate)
Wireless: Realtek Wi-Fi 5 (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo, MU-MIMO supported

He's really not that hardcore into games but he wants to be able to run Apex with no stutters

Thanks!
I think that CPU is still good for a while.
I would increase the memory to 16 GB at least and go dual channel.
Personally I would want a larger NVMe drive.
....and the GPU.....if he is running at 1080p 60 fps...is pretty good....but he could upgrade that if he was gaming at a higher resolution or just wanted more GPU power.
With that CPU....I think he could run just about any GPU.

Reactions: TG_Taco

TG_Taco

Reputable
Dec 28, 2016
I think that CPU is still good for a while.
I would increase the memory to 16 GB at least and go dual channel.
Personally I would want a larger NVMe drive.
....and the GPU.....if he is running at 1080p 60 fps...is pretty good....but he could upgrade that if he was gaming at a higher resolution or just wanted more GPU power.
With that CPU....I think he could run just about any GPU.
yea I was thinking that I could defintely upgrade the RAM and storage as well, but I really wasn't sure if his CPU I couldn't tell since I have no experience with AMD stuff, but if thats all it really needs then I'll get to it upgrading. Thanks!

TG_Taco

Reputable
Dec 28, 2016
didn't see the other replies, but I was wondering that these specs do sound pretty good, but he just never tried playing anything on his PC, I really only have to do minor things to his PC. The rest of his specs sound good, but I just wasn't sure about his CPU, like I said previously I've never dealt with AMD processors so I didn't know what it could handle. Again thank you guys alot!

yea I was thinking that I could defintely upgrade the RAM and storage as well, but I really wasn't sure if his CPU I couldn't tell since I have no experience with AMD stuff, but if thats all it really needs then I'll get to it upgrading. Thanks!
I'm running a similar CPU with an RTX 2080 Ti and it runs it no problem.
That CPU of his is still pretty fast and I think it could run a 3080 or 3090.

Not hard to find out about the CPU, there are many benchmarks and comparison sites for CPUs. Since he never even tried playing games on the PC that would be the place to start, actually use is before checking for upgrades. The computer is fine as it is for 1080 gaming. A second 8 GB RAM stick may help but I used a system with a single RAM stick and it was just fine that way also.

Solution