Help: Determining motherboard form factor

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Can anyone tell me where I can find a list that shows all of the
mother boards sizes.(ie: ATX, AT, ect.).

I just picked up a motherboard that I was told was a mini-ATX, but I
just measured the size at 9-5/8" x 8-3/8".

After over an hour of searching the net, all I've been able to
determine is that motherboard sizes are all over the place, and that
names(ATX, AT,ect.) should be dropped and actual sizes used to avoid
confusion.

I can't believe that there is not a single document that shows all
sizes next to the corresponding form factors.

I tried putting the silk-screened numbers and labels in the Google
search engine and I cannot find a single motherboard on the net that
has the same dimensions as this one.(I think 2/3 Baby AT comes the
closest).

I need to get a case for this motherboard, and any ideas would be
appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Darren Harris wrote:
> Can anyone tell me where I can find a list that shows all of the
> mother boards sizes.(ie: ATX, AT, ect.).
>
> I just picked up a motherboard that I was told was a mini-ATX, but I
> just measured the size at 9-5/8" x 8-3/8".

MicroATX dimensions are 9.6 inch by 9.6 inch, maximum. If yours also has
the ATX style rear panel I/O area, and the ATX power connector, then it's a
microATX as it fits within those dimensions. (No rear panel and AT power
connector [or dual power], would mean it's probably a baby AT).

Flex ATX is 9"x7.5" and your motherboard is bigger than that, so it isn't a
flex.

> After over an hour of searching the net, all I've been able to
> determine is that motherboard sizes are all over the place, and that
> names(ATX, AT,ect.) should be dropped and actual sizes used to avoid
> confusion.

The motherboard specifications are a dimensional outer limit, and hole
pattern, not 'every size' one can decide to make their motherboard. But the
size variation is of no consequence as any 'smaller' ATX motherboard will
fit in a 'standard' ATX case, and any 'smaller' microATX motherboard will
fit in a 'standard' microATX case, etc.

> I can't believe that there is not a single document that shows all
> sizes next to the corresponding form factors.

There is probably a site somewhere which does that but when making a new
spec, such a the new BTX spec, one is usually not concerned with recreating
the history of motherboards at the same time.

Try here: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/case/form.htm

> I tried putting the silk-screened numbers and labels in the Google
> search engine and I cannot find a single motherboard on the net that
> has the same dimensions as this one.(I think 2/3 Baby AT comes the
> closest).

Looking for an 'exact match' isn't going to work since the spec is an outer
limit and not that a motherboard must be 'exactly' that.

> I need to get a case for this motherboard, and any ideas would be
> appreciated.

If it's the microATX, as the numbers would indicate, it'll fit in either a
microATX or standard ATX case since microATX itself is simply a smaller
sized ATX.

"Darren Harris" <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> schreef in bericht
> Can anyone tell me where I can find a list that shows all of the
> mother boards sizes.(ie: ATX, AT, ect.).
>
> I just picked up a motherboard that I was told was a mini-ATX, but I
> just measured the size at 9-5/8" x 8-3/8".
>
> After over an hour of searching the net, all I've been able to
> determine is that motherboard sizes are all over the place, and that
> names(ATX, AT,ect.) should be dropped and actual sizes used to avoid
> confusion.
>
> I can't believe that there is not a single document that shows all
> sizes next to the corresponding form factors.

Daren,

Have you checked these:

http://www.formfactors.org/formfactor.asp
http://www.thejemreport.com/news_index9.html