mister_flowers

Commendable
Jul 23, 2019
Before I get into the details I want to clarify that I have already put in a couple of hours of mindless troubleshooting. Clearing CMOS, removing the battery, one stick of ram, different types of ram, different slots, with GPU, without GPU. I say that just to state where I am in the process now.

TLDR: Core Upgrades were not showing any signs of booting. Replaced motherboard and ram, still no signs of booting. Each iteration of troubleshooting was thoroughly tested. No motherboard speaker yet so kinda flying in the dark so far.

Processor:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 16gb(2x8)
GPU: Asus Phoenix GTX 1660ti
Power Supply: EVGA 700 Watt Bronze
Cooler: Stock Wraith Cooler
Case: Corsair Spec 01
SSD: PNY 240gb
HDD: Western Digital 1tb

Process So Far:
I am doing a core upgrade. Had older parts, saved up, bought the new Ryzen 3600, an x570 Gaming X Motherboard from Gigabyte and originally G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb(2x8) 3200mhz ram. Believe me when I say I was beyond excited. After 3 years of playing on a preowned used rig and only upgrading the GPU in that time (Asus 1660ti), it was a good chance for me to actually get a grasp on upgrading/building.

On the initial night that I was putting in the upgrades, I didn't feel the need to breadboard, I mounted everything, plugged everything in and tried to boot. CPU fan, motherboard fan, and case fans plugged into the motherboard were getting power. There was no post/boot though. I did notice that the LED on the case fan was kind of flickering and if there was no boot whatsoever I thought it had to be the power supply. I took the power supply into Microcenter to get it tested, they have a handy tool that takes in the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors and on powering up it reads out all the voltage from the pins. Everything was in the clear, that was a huge relief because I am on a very tight budget and I was not counting on my power supply all of the sudden not working (it had been in its original box for a month maybe).

My next thought was the motherboard. I took that in the next day, exchanged it for a new one, noticed two things: The new board had a cover for the m.2 drive, the old board I originally bought did not, and the cpu seated much easier in the second one. This lead me to believe I had a faulty board all along, and I was very excited to put everything back together, this time I would breadboard the entire build until I could get a boot to bios. So I took the new board out of its anti-static, set it on top of its box with anti-static underneath it. I attached the cpu fan(stock), two sticks of G.Skill listed above, plugged in the 8 pin and 24 pin. On powering on, nothing, same results as before. Took the build through the same iterations I originally had.

My next thought was it had to be the ram. No response whatsoever with an exchanged board? The chances of two bad boards in a row were extremely low I thought. My power supply tested good. The chances of a processor being bad are the lowest on the list of possibilities (I assumed). So that leaves the ram as a suspect. I took the sticks in and exchanged them for 16gb(8x2) 3200 sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX. In my days of troubleshooting, I came across multiple people mentioning LPX sticks have been working like a charm in their x570 boards. So I felt confident this would fix the problem. Got the breadboard setup, plugged the new sticks in, same exact behavior. Cpu fan spinning, motherboard fan spinning, no boot to bios.

Current Suspicions:
  1. The processor is still in questioning. Why? Because why not I have replaced everything else. But promise me when I say the pins are spot on and it seats perfectly into the motherboard.
  2. I am not trying to boot with the HDD that my windows is installed on. Should I be able to boot to bios without an OS? I have seen one post out of all my googling where the solution was they booted up to bios only after they plugged in a usb with windows 10 installed, and they explained that some displays won't show bios unless fully booting windows.
  3. Even if the power supply tested okay, maybe it's still the problem? Waiting for a friend to let me borrow a spare and try that on the next iteration.
ANY feedback is greatly appreciated, specifically responses to the current suspicions. I am very frustrated at this point and looking for what could possibly help.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
It could be a DOA motherboard. Some boards have had that issue in the past for early adopters. Regardless of that point, mind sharing your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

It'd also be a good idea for you to share some pics of your build while breadboarded. Perhaps a connector or two might be half seated/connected.

What is the spare PSU's make and model?

Reactions: mister_flowers

mister_flowers

Commendable
Jul 23, 2019
Biggest suspicion is you asking whether you should be plugging into the graphics card for display output. The Ryzen 5 3600 does not have an integrated GPU; you need a graphics card to see anything.
Sorry I should have clarified. One of my last iterations last night was running the setup with my GPU plugged in, still no sign of booting into BIOS.

mister_flowers

Commendable
Jul 23, 2019
It could be a DOA motherboard. Some boards have had that issue in the past for early adopters. Regardless of that point, mind sharing your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

It'd also be a good idea for you to share some pics of your build while breadboarded. Perhaps a connector or two might be half seated/connected.

What is the spare PSU's make and model?
I adjusted the listing of the specs above. I will have to share some pictures later of the setup. Right now it's just been the motherboard with cpu, fan, ram, and gpu plugged into the board, and that whole setup is sitting ontop of anti static wrapping ontop of the motherboard box. I can assure you the 8 pin and 24 pin are connected. That's been the first check from the beginning of this whole process.