Help diagnosing issues with my PC's High CPU usage

CJW716

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
I am completely lost as to what is going on with my PC lately. A week ago it ran perfectly with no issues, now all of a sudden things are just piling up left and right. I have checked for malware and it is not that before we start.

I began to notice my CPU usage was spiking more than normal. I would see my widget tell me 60% or even 80% every once and a while, even when not running any programs except google chrome. Ever since then, I've noticed stuttering everywhere. Videos on web pages, mouse movement in games and on internet tabs. Even typing this every 10 seconds or so it will freeze for a millisecond then catch up, and all I have running is google chrome.

To top that off, one of my monitors (always the one with a video of some sort on it) will seemingly at random do the black and white fuzzy screen for about 1 second a couple of times per day. I have no idea if that is connected but I thought I would give you as much information as possible.

My specs are:
CPU: i5 4690k (not overclocked)
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 RAM
GPU: GTX 980TI (gigabyte)
Motherboard: Gigabyte UD5H ultra durable.

Perhaps the greatest issue of all is I can't even trust my PC's readout of how much CPU I'm using. My Rainmeter widget updates once per second and even if it says 17% or 32%, the exact second I open up the task manage with Ctrl - Alt - Delete, for a split second as it opens it shows anywhere from 98% to 100% total CPU usage before instantly falling before I can diagnose the issues. Without fail, every single time I open up task manager.

If anyone has any idea how to help me even find out what is wrong I'm open to suggestions. So far I've been told to see if BIOS is running my CPU in a low power mode and it is functioning normally as far as BIOS told me.

Thank you for any help

Solution
Resource monitor (windows program) will display all processes using the CPU, memory, discs, and network and will assist in determining which process is causing the high CPU usage. In each category you can sort the process then find out what that process is for. Then you can take corrective action.

Try running a malware scan as well.

CJW716

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
If you know what I should be looking for I have CPUID HWMonitor downloaded but I'm not knowledgeable enough to spot discrepancies or patterns in all the data it gives me

t53186

Distinguished
Resource monitor (windows program) will display all processes using the CPU, memory, discs, and network and will assist in determining which process is causing the high CPU usage. In each category you can sort the process then find out what that process is for. Then you can take corrective action.

Try running a malware scan as well.

Solution