Question help diagnosing low fps on games

Dec 17, 2021
Having some issues with incredibly low fps with some games that my pc should easily be able to run. For now the only 4 games I know I have this issue with is slime rancher, pc building sim and subnautica on epic games and warhammer vermintide 2 on steam (if platform matters?) I haven't really tried any more than that. Below are some screenshots of the game running and different applications to help diagnose this. I've tried playing around with in game settings as well as changing display settings and nvidia control panel settings and also changing the install location to my SSD but nothing changes so any recommendations on how to diagnose the issue or how to fix it is massively appreciated!
Slime rancher with nvidia overlay and resource monitor
Slime rancher with nvidia overlay and task manager
Slime rancher with nvidia overlay and different GPU
Warhammer Verminitde 2 with nvidia overlay and task manager

PC specs for reference with links to parts
CPU: I7 6850k @ 3.6GHz
RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz corsair Vengeance LPX
GPU: GTX 1080 Windforce OC 8G
Motherboard: Gigabyte SOC Champion x99
HDD with games on: ST500DM002-1BD142
PSU: HX1000i

UserBenchmark scores

Having some issues with incredibly low fps with some games that my pc should easily be able to run. For now the only 4 games I know I have this issue with is slime rancher, pc building sim and subnautica on epic games and warhammer vermintide 2 on steam (if platform matters?) I haven't really tried any more than that. Below are some screenshots of the game running and different applications to help diagnose this. I've tried playing around with in game settings as well as changing display settings and nvidia control panel settings and also changing the install location to my SSD but nothing changes so any recommendations on how to diagnose the issue or how to fix it is massively appreciated!
Slime rancher with nvidia overlay and resource monitor
Slime rancher with nvidia overlay and task manager
Slime rancher with nvidia overlay and different GPU
Warhammer Verminitde 2 with nvidia overlay and task manager

PC specs for reference with links to parts
CPU: I7 6850k @ 3.6GHz
RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz corsair Vengeance LPX
GPU: GTX 1080 Windforce OC 8G
Motherboard: Gigabyte SOC Champion x99
HDD with games on: ST500DM002-1BD142
PSU: HX1000i

UserBenchmark scores
How hot is the cpu getting?
Do you have xmp enabled in the bios?

Dec 17, 2021
How hot is the cpu getting?
Do you have xmp enabled in the bios?
thanks for getting back to me

CPU temps are all normal and not exceding 40C or 100F when the games running for 5 minutes. And i didn't have xmp enabled when i took those screenshots but i do now and still no better.

Something i noticed when checking the temps though is that the CPU utilization changes massively and only really uses 2 threads, could that be the issue? some more screenshots here to show temps and utilization when not running the game and running the game (game is slime rancher if it matters)

thanks for getting back to me

CPU temps are all normal and not exceding 40C or 100F when the games running for 5 minutes. And i didn't have xmp enabled when i took those screenshots but i do now and still no better.

Something i noticed when checking the temps though is that the CPU utilization changes massively and only really uses 2 threads, could that be the issue? some more screenshots here to show temps and utilization when not running the game and running the game (game is slime rancher if it matters)
Reboot and wait a few mins then run UBM with the browser closed.
Post a link to the results.

Do you have some sort of fps limiter running for the monitors....gsync/vsync or whatever its called?

Dec 17, 2021
Did you wait a few mins after the reboot before running UBM?
If so you have a lot of background stuff running.
Review your startup group and try to make it skinny.
yeah i waited a few minutes. turned off everything in startup other than my antivirus and this is the new UBM

I think those games are largely single threaded.
Run the CPU-Z bench test and look at the single thread performance.
It should be around 505:
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/9ni5rz
heres the results from the CPU-Z bench a bit under the 505. And subnautica and warhammer vermintide 2 are old games that i've played before on this system, so its weird that they're having this issue all of a sudden.

What is "all of a sudden"?
What might have changed since all was well?

Could you have contracted a virus or malware?

Perhaps some less than good update was pushed out.

Perhaps you could try to use system restore to reset back to when all was well.

Dec 17, 2021
What is "all of a sudden"?
What might have changed since all was well?

Could you have contracted a virus or malware?

Perhaps some less than good update was pushed out.

Perhaps you could try to use system restore to reset back to when all was well.

All of a sudden probably wasn't the best words to use since the last time i played games was probably 3-4 months ago so it could have happened anywhere from now to then. Virus or malware is a possibility but I do make sure to scan regularly and always keep my antivirus running and scan everything that I download. But something could always slip through the cracks. The only things that have changed since things were good are that i've downloaded and installed new software for university(Ansys, horizon and citrix to remote into uni systems) and also got a new GPU (i did test my old GPU again and still the same issues). I also don't have any backup or restore points to go to so I'd have to do a complete format and reinstallation so it'll be the last thing i try.

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Hold on. You have 2400ghz ram, and a screen shot you gave us showed 2400 on the task manager, and yet you say that was without XMP turned on?

Did you play with the ram settings previously, or manually change frequencies to get to 2400? Also, what is the different reading on task manager now with the xmp on?

Aside from that, something is definitely keeping your fps artificially low, as your cpu/gpu usage is barely hitting 50% on those SS

Dec 17, 2021
Hold on. You have 2400ghz ram, and a screen shot you gave us showed 2400 on the task manager, and yet you say that was without XMP turned on?

Did you play with the ram settings previously, or manually change frequencies to get to 2400? Also, what is the different reading on task manager now with the xmp on?

Aside from that, something is definitely keeping your fps artificially low, as your cpu/gpu usage is barely hitting 50% on those SS
heres the new readings from task manager with the same game running. and the warhammer screenshot was taken a couple hours after the slime rancher ones and i was trying things while making the original post too so i think i had turned on XMP for that one and not the rest. sorry for any confusion.

Dec 17, 2021
Nothing dramatic happened.
Gaming number went up a notch.
Your call if you want to use avast.
Win def seems pretty good and it's built in.
So far I have not seen a need to look for a different AV.

Run a pass of crystaldiskinfo and post a screenshot for each disk.
yeah i prefer having it since im also using some of their other stuff and if the pc's running as it should then the slight drop in performance wont bother me.

heres the crystal disk stuff. Boot Drive, Drive 2, Drive 3

Dec 17, 2021
All 3 disk are showing a problem.
The OS disk is running at pcie2 and not pcie3.
Both hdd's are showing a caution.
Your call how you want to approach this.
as far as i know drives don't really affect in game fps though, loading times and stuff like that sure so i don't think it's those that are causing the main problem here. I will take a look at the OS drive and getting that running at pcie3 though.

Dec 17, 2021
With things so interconnected never say never.
Even if it's not today's problem it might be tomorrows.
You're 100% correct that it could be a future problem, but i don't think its the current problem since the only thing wrong with the boot drive is that its running on pcie2 and not pcie3 which shouldn't cause this kind of issue atleast

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
You're 100% correct that it could be a future problem, but i don't think its the current problem since the only thing wrong with the boot drive is that its running on pcie2 and not pcie3 which shouldn't cause this kind of issue atleast

Bit suspicious yeah, but you're right, even the gtx1080 running only pcie2 wouldn't cause the OP issues

Dec 17, 2021
Bit suspicious yeah, but you're right, even the gtx1080 running only pcie2 wouldn't cause the OP issues
All 3 disk show problems your call as to how you want to go about this.
the gpu is in a pcie3 x16 slot so it won't have any issues at all with bandwidth its just the m.2 slot for the ssd is limited at pcie2. i'm gonna see if formatting all my harddrives and reinstalling everything will help temporarily until i can get new drives. but won't be for a while since i don't have the time right now due to uni

TRENDING THREADS