[SOLVED] Help diagnosing my BSODs

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
I'm trying to find out what's causing my BSODs.
Here's a picture of the Event Viewer summary: View: https://imgur.com/a/gD2PEXq

I know the BSOSs are bad and I should try and figure out what's causing them but do the amount of errors and warnings look normal? The look to be quite high to me but I'm not sure.

One of the issues I have with diagnosing my BSODs is that they are the "quick BSOD" type where the BSOD flashes for about 1/4 of a second and then the system reboots. So I can't read any information on the blue screen.
And another issue is that my system is not making logs of any of the BSODs. So BSOD viewers are useless. I suspect this is because of the type of BSOD. It says in event viewer "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation."

Here's a pic of the detailed critical errors in Event Viewer: View: https://imgur.com/a/Nt1Ov45

Notice that they are all the same.

Here's a pic of what event viewer looks like in the lead up to a BSOD: View: https://imgur.com/a/wPbKdg8

Notice that it says "The previous system shutdown at 5:50:29 AM on ‎17/‎08/‎2020 was unexpected."
I've noticed that this tends to be the pattern before a BSOD, it says the previous system shutdown was unexpected but, I am always shutting down my PC by using the Shut Down in Windows.

Anyone got any idea where I should start with diagnosing this?

Last edited:
Solution
OK, I managed to isolate the problem.
It was my RAM, I just tweaked some settings in my BIOS and it stopped the BSODs.
Strangely, the BSODs were not making dump files.
I suspect that the computer was not categorizing the crashes as BSODs even though, it was giving me the blue screen.

In any case this problem is solved.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Please see this guide for getting the minidump files from each BSOD and other info to include on a BSOD post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

We'll need access to those BSOD to help with diagnosis.

Notice that it says "The previous system shutdown at 5:50:29 AM on ‎17/‎08/‎2020 was unexpected."
This will always happen. It's simply an error that occurs when the PC shutdowns/restarts without going through the formal shutdown procedure. When you BSOD, it auto restarts, so it's your systems way of saying "I wasn't expecting that shutdown, so I'll log it as an error" you can safely ignore it. As ultimately you know it's shutting down by the fact that your screen is going off...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No problem my friend.

The initial Tom's Hardware link I sent you to states which one to select:
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Automatic Memory Dump - Have Windows Create an Automatic Memory Dump on BSOD

We didn't write the tenforums one, we just refer to it.

So you can either select automatic memory dump or small memory dump (small = minidump). :)

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
"1. Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Automatic Memory Dump - Have Windows Create an Automatic Memory Dump on BSOD that creates a new Memory.dmp file after the next BSOD (found on root directory of C)
copy that file to documents upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem "

Yeah that's one of my problems, I can't find where the file is stored on my computer. It says: Dump File: %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP
I can't see where that is found on my computer, I have tried Googling for it and I still can't find it. It seems like a common problem.
Any help?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
"1. Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Automatic Memory Dump - Have Windows Create an Automatic Memory Dump on BSOD that creates a new Memory.dmp file after the next BSOD (found on root directory of C)
copy that file to documents upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem "

Yeah that's one of my problems, I can't find where the file is stored on my computer. It says: Dump File: %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP
I can't see where that is found on my computer, I have tried Googling for it and I still can't find it. It seems like a common problem.
Any help?
System root is a dynamic reference, so it varies by computer, but usually it's C:\Windows\Minidump if you've set up minidump files, it will appear after the BSOD has occurred.

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
"if you've set up minidump files, it will appear after the BSOD has occurred. "
I've set them up.
But, there is no C:\Windows\Minidump file on my computer.
I have spent some hours using Google to help locate where the minidump folder is on my computer to no avail.

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
OK, I managed to isolate the problem.
It was my RAM, I just tweaked some settings in my BIOS and it stopped the BSODs.
Strangely, the BSODs were not making dump files.
I suspect that the computer was not categorizing the crashes as BSODs even though, it was giving me the blue screen.

In any case this problem is solved.

Solution