Question Help diagnosing PC problem (potential Frametime problem?)

insomnia31

Prominent
Jan 27, 2022
Hello! I've been trying to diagnose my underperforming PC for quite a while, tried a lot of fixes, nothing worked.

Problem: I have decent FPS in games, but I always get drops in FPS and the games feel very sluggish despite the high fps (gameplay is not smooth). I've been monitoring on the hardware part (as much as I can, i'm not that well versed in PC stuff) and it doesn't seem to me like I have a problem on the end of GPU, CPU etc. Recently I've found out about frametime and tested it out with RTSS and sure enough, i do have a problem there, but i'm not aware how to really fix it. Most of my in-game lags happen while the graph spikes or the values on the graph raise a bit.

My monitor is zowie XL2411P and I have it on 144hz.

The smoothest I see the gameplay is when it's constantly at around 6.9ms frametime. Is there any way to fix that / keep it under control? It can sometimes go up to 9.8, maybe even 10, or above 8.

I suspect this is the problem but i'll lay out my PC specs and a video to make sure i'm on the right track and it's not something else.

SPECS:

I5-9400F CPU @ 2.90 GHz
MSI GTX 1080
Motherboard B360 Gaming Plus
16gb ram dual channel

gameplay video :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w0Uap5guLc

insomnia31

Prominent
Jan 27, 2022
frametime looks fine for this high CPU usage, try limiting FPS with RTSS (riva tuner statistic server) to lets say 80fps
CPU usage should drop, then you would know if theres someting wrong
btw for this kind of game 60fps is plenty enough

sry i am a little caught up with stuff and didn't have time to play

just tested out a min ago and the cpu usage was anywhere between 50 something to 78 and spiked one time to 100%, sometimes goes to high 80s, but usually it was either 58 or 70 something and the frametime looked like a smooth line with just a few bumps from time to time, the game did feel sluggish though, maybe i got too used to 144hz? idk but the sluggish feeling is killing me

so cpu usage dropped, that means it's a good thing right?