Help!!! Domain Local Groups

We are using Server 2003 in a Mixed-Mode environment, one Domain. Why is it
that I cannot create a Domain Local Group on a Member Server? This is driving
me nuts. Do we have to be in Native Mode?

What I wanted to do was create a Global Group, put Users in it, and then
place that Global Group into a Domain Local Group. Which would then be
assigned to a Resource.

I can CREATE the Domain Local Group on the DC, but when I try and add it to
a Global Group on a Member Server, it's not there.

Thank you!

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:19:02 -0800, GLT <GLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We are using Server 2003 in a Mixed-Mode environment, one Domain. Why is it
>that I cannot create a Domain Local Group on a Member Server? This is driving
>me nuts. Do we have to be in Native Mode?
>
>What I wanted to do was create a Global Group, put Users in it, and then
>place that Global Group into a Domain Local Group. Which would then be
>assigned to a Resource.
>
>I can CREATE the Domain Local Group on the DC, but when I try and add it to
>a Global Group on a Member Server, it's not there.
>
>Thank you!

In mixed mode, the scope of the domain local group is the domain controllers

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Thanks Jerold. I don't quite follow what you mean though. Is it a correct
statement that you cannot use Domain Local Groups in Mixed Mode? In other
words, in Mixed Mode you can't assign Global Groups to Domain Local Groups on
a Member Server?

"Jerold Schulman" wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:19:02 -0800, GLT <GLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >We are using Server 2003 in a Mixed-Mode environment, one Domain. Why is it
> >that I cannot create a Domain Local Group on a Member Server? This is driving
> >me nuts. Do we have to be in Native Mode?
> >
> >What I wanted to do was create a Global Group, put Users in it, and then
> >place that Global Group into a Domain Local Group. Which would then be
> >assigned to a Resource.
> >
> >I can CREATE the Domain Local Group on the DC, but when I try and add it to
> >a Global Group on a Member Server, it's not there.
> >
> >Thank you!
>
> In mixed mode, the scope of the domain local group is the domain controllers
>

> Jerold Schulman
> Windows Server MVP
> JSI, Inc.
> http://www.jsiinc.com

I need to clarify that statement: "In other words, in Mixed Mode you can't
assign Global Groups to Domain Local Groups on a Member Server?"

Should read: in Mixed Mode Domain Local Groups are not available on a Member
Server to put Global Groups in?"

If that is the case, do you assign Global Groups to the resource?

"GLT" wrote:

> Thanks Jerold. I don't quite follow what you mean though. Is it a correct
> statement that you cannot use Domain Local Groups in Mixed Mode? In other
> words, in Mixed Mode you can't assign Global Groups to Domain Local Groups on
> a Member Server?
>
> "Jerold Schulman" wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:19:02 -0800, GLT <GLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >We are using Server 2003 in a Mixed-Mode environment, one Domain. Why is it
> > >that I cannot create a Domain Local Group on a Member Server? This is driving
> > >me nuts. Do we have to be in Native Mode?
> > >
> > >What I wanted to do was create a Global Group, put Users in it, and then
> > >place that Global Group into a Domain Local Group. Which would then be
> > >assigned to a Resource.
> > >
> > >I can CREATE the Domain Local Group on the DC, but when I try and add it to
> > >a Global Group on a Member Server, it's not there.
> > >
> > >Thank you!
> >
> > In mixed mode, the scope of the domain local group is the domain controllers
> >

> > Jerold Schulman
> > Windows Server MVP
> > JSI, Inc.
> > http://www.jsiinc.com

In mixed-mode, domain local groups only exist on domain controllers.
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=231273 "Group Type and Scope Usage in Windows "
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=243330 "Well-known security identifiers in Windows operating systems "
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=260534 "Members of a Domain Local Group Are Not Granted Rights "
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=309172 "Group Policy Should Not Be Filtered By Domain Local Groups "
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=320230 "Permissions Are Affected After You Demote a Domain Controller "
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=823908 "'Error: Access Is Denied' Error Message Occurs When You Try to Access a Shared Folder "

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:59:09 -0800, GLT <GLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I need to clarify that statement: "In other words, in Mixed Mode you can't
>assign Global Groups to Domain Local Groups on a Member Server?"
>
>Should read: in Mixed Mode Domain Local Groups are not available on a Member
>Server to put Global Groups in?"
>
>If that is the case, do you assign Global Groups to the resource?
>

>"GLT" wrote:
>
>> Thanks Jerold. I don't quite follow what you mean though. Is it a correct
>> statement that you cannot use Domain Local Groups in Mixed Mode? In other
>> words, in Mixed Mode you can't assign Global Groups to Domain Local Groups on
>> a Member Server?

>> > In mixed mode, the scope of the domain local group is the domain controllers
>> >

>> > Jerold Schulman
>> > Windows Server MVP
>> > JSI, Inc.
>> > http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Thank you, Jerold.

So to assign permission on a Member Server in our Mixed Mode Domain I will
have to use Global Groups since Domain Local is not available, correct?

Again, many thanks!

"Jerold Schulman" wrote:

> In mixed-mode, domain local groups only exist on domain controllers.
> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=231273 "Group Type and Scope Usage in Windows "
> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=243330 "Well-known security identifiers in Windows operating systems "
> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=260534 "Members of a Domain Local Group Are Not Granted Rights "
> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=309172 "Group Policy Should Not Be Filtered By Domain Local Groups "
> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=320230 "Permissions Are Affected After You Demote a Domain Controller "
> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=823908 "'Error: Access Is Denied' Error Message Occurs When You Try to Access a Shared Folder "
>

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:59:09 -0800, GLT <GLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I need to clarify that statement: "In other words, in Mixed Mode you can't
> >assign Global Groups to Domain Local Groups on a Member Server?"
> >
> >Should read: in Mixed Mode Domain Local Groups are not available on a Member
> >Server to put Global Groups in?"
> >
> >If that is the case, do you assign Global Groups to the resource?
> >

> >"GLT" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Jerold. I don't quite follow what you mean though. Is it a correct
> >> statement that you cannot use Domain Local Groups in Mixed Mode? In other
> >> words, in Mixed Mode you can't assign Global Groups to Domain Local Groups on
> >> a Member Server?

> Jerold Schulman
> Windows Server MVP
> JSI, Inc.
> http://www.jsiinc.com

Correct.

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 04:37:05 -0800, GLT <GLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you, Jerold.
>
>So to assign permission on a Member Server in our Mixed Mode Domain I will
>have to use Global Groups since Domain Local is not available, correct?
>
>Again, many thanks!
>
>"Jerold Schulman" wrote:
>

>> In mixed-mode, domain local groups only exist on domain controllers.
>> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=231273 "Group Type and Scope Usage in Windows "
>> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=243330 "Well-known security identifiers in Windows operating systems "
>> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=260534 "Members of a Domain Local Group Are Not Granted Rights "
>> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=309172 "Group Policy Should Not Be Filtered By Domain Local Groups "
>> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=320230 "Permissions Are Affected After You Demote a Domain Controller "
>> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=823908 "'Error: Access Is Denied' Error Message Occurs When You Try to Access a Shared Folder "
>>

>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:59:09 -0800, GLT <GLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I need to clarify that statement: "In other words, in Mixed Mode you can't
>> >assign Global Groups to Domain Local Groups on a Member Server?"
>> >
>> >Should read: in Mixed Mode Domain Local Groups are not available on a Member
>> >Server to put Global Groups in?"
>> >
>> >If that is the case, do you assign Global Groups to the resource?

>> Jerold Schulman
>> Windows Server MVP
>> JSI, Inc.
>> http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Domain local groups are not created on member servers. Member servers can have
local groups. In mixed mode the only domain groups you can use on member
machines are global groups but you can still create local groups on member servers.

Once in native mode, you can create domain local groups and use those groups on
members.

joe

www.joeware.net