[SOLVED] Help dont know what to delete and or clone over to new ssd !

Oct 27, 2018
Hey guys I have an ssd coming in the mail tomm for my laptop and I decided to be proactive and download macrium reflect on it today, and i am confused because my hd has 5 partitions on it and im trying to see what i can uncheck and or delete before cloning

here is a link to an pic i took of what i am speaking of https://ibb.co/kMEZ5A

Thank you guys so much ahead of time for help

Solution

Make a new Win 10 install.
Install the new SSD.
Boot from the USB you created, and install the OS on the SSD.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
A lot of laptop manufacturers do that, one is a recovery partition and the others are probably something to do with recovery as well.
You could clone them all, but I've heard that it can be difficult to get that to work. Windows normally creats 2 if I remember correctly, one hidden system partition and the main C: drive partitiion.

For me personally I'd just start fresh and install windows on the SSD from the latest media creation tool image. A clean install will make the SSD seem even faster. Also makes life easier if the drives are different sizes. Your laptop should either have a key on it or more likely embedded in the hardware and not need one, just make sure to install the same version (home or pro, 32 or 64 bit)

USAFRet

Titan
OK..
In Macrium, select partitions labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
Deselect any others.

But from your Disk Management window, it appears your C drive is only ~38GB used space?
Is this a brand new OS install? If so, it would be much easier and safer just to do a clean install on the new SSD.

Oct 27, 2018

okay awesome thanks for that man , yeah i did a fresh reinstall last month , what would be the best way to do that I have no disk or media , and new ssd i have coming i also ordered a external usb ssd adapter case like thing to make things easier

USAFRet

Titan

Windows 10?
Create your own USB install.
Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Swap the drives, having only the SSD connected.

New install.
Here: How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Oct 27, 2018

yes i did reset on latop and it reinstalled windows 8 then i right away updated it to windows 10 , would being native to windows 8 from factory would making a usb install be windows 10 or 8?

other than that your saying make a usb drive install, then shut down , swap drives, and boot from new ssd ?

its a toshiba laptop btw if that means anything

USAFRet

Titan

Make a new Win 10 install.
Install the new SSD.
Boot from the USB you created, and install the OS on the SSD.

Solution