[SOLVED] Help! Drives NOT Recognized in BIOS but Can be Seen on the Splash Page

ganymede-

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Hi, I recently installed an Asus Prime Z390 - A motherboard and then attached all the necessary components, including three drives—M.2, SSD, and a HDD.

When I boot the system and the splash screen appears I see my three drives listed; however, when I enter the BIOS the drives do not show up under the BOOT directory.

I have tried a couple of things to see if I can make the MB recognize the drives, such as unplugging all the drives but one to see if this helped. It did not. Next, I have tried using one drive that had an operating system on it from previous build but that didn’t work either and no drive was recognized. Finally, I updated the BIOS with the latest update from the Asus website. That did not work either.

I’m so dejected and frustrated bc I don’t know what to do next, and I have spent hours trying to figure the problem out.

Does anyone have any idea why my drives are not showing up in the BIOS? Could someone offer up an explanation for this problem or what steps I should take next to try and fix this problem?

Feedback or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
Hi, I recently installed an Asus Prime Z390 - A motherboard and then attached all the necessary components, including three drives—M.2, SSD, and a HDD.

When I boot the system and the splash screen appears I see my three drives listed; however, when I enter the BIOS the drives do not show up under the BOOT directory.

I have tried a couple of things to see if I can make the MB recognize the drives, such as unplugging all the drives but one to see if this helped. It did not. Next, I have tried using one drive that had an operating system on it from previous build but that didn’t work either and no drive was recognized. Finally, I updated the BIOS with the latest update from the Asus website. That did not work either.

I’m so dejected...
May 30, 2019

I’m so dejected and frustrated bc I don’t know what to do next, and I have spent hours trying to figure the problem out.

Does anyone have any idea why my drives are not showing up in the BIOS? Could someone offer up an explanation for this problem or what steps I should take next to try and fix this problem?

Feedback or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Have you try to enable the CSM in your bios?

Solution

ganymede-

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
PROBLEM SOLVED!
You were on the mark!
The problem with my drives not appearing in the BIOS was because the CSM settings were all set to Legacy instead of UEFI. I have no idea why Asus would bring a new motherboard to market with the CSM settings in this Legacy mode and make no reference to it in the manual.
I guess I can look at it as I learned something new.
Thank you so much for your help

May 30, 2019
PROBLEM SOLVED!
You were on the mark!
The problem with my drives not appearing in the BIOS was because the CSM settings were all set to Legacy instead of UEFI. I have no idea why Asus would bring a new motherboard to market with the CSM settings in this Legacy mode and make no reference to it in the manual.

Your welcome, enjoy your system.
And maybe mark this thread as solved, so someone who had a similar issue like you can solve their issue too.

Reactions: ganymede-
May 30, 2019
PROBLEM SOLVED!
You were on the mark!
Hi, You can mark my answer as the best answer, by clicking on the "trophy" icon on the left side. Doing this would also mark this thread as SOLVED.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-award-best-answers-mark-question-as-solved.3450478/