Help establishing a good internet connection. Thank you!

Necromorphs_12

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Alright so, i've been trying to connect to the internet sucessfully on my laptop but it doesnt want to. Its an Envy HP laptop with windows 8. Internet provider is Comcast, i called them and they already came and said everything was fine with the modem and internet wasent being stolen or anything.

So the laptop connects to the internet but it doesnt acess internet or games very well. Barely does so and most of the time brings me to a unable to load page screen. It used to be able to connect fine, no idea what might be causing this issue. There is another laptop in the house which connects successfully to the internet. And when i activate my phones hotspot this laptop connects to it nice and fine and everything works.

Which means theres an issue with my laptop connecting to this network specifically and i honestly dont know what to do anymore : / i cant have my hotspot on all the time. Any and all help is highly appreciated! Thank you

Solution
Try deleting your home from the 'known' wireless networks list. When you connect again it will ask you for your password and what security level it should assign to it. Unfortunately win8 lacks the Manage Wireless Networks gui so you get to use the command line... or install a 3rd party utility.

Open a run box window (or press win+R) then type cmd to open Windows 8 CLI.
To see stored wireless profiles, type:
netsh wlan show profiles
This will show a list of saved profiles of your connected WLAN devices. Then you'll need to write/save/memorize the profile name that you want to change.
To see the stored key (WPA/WEP/etc) of a specific profile:
netsh wlan show profiles name=[profile name] key=clear
You'll find the key content under...

popatim

Titan
Try deleting your home from the 'known' wireless networks list. When you connect again it will ask you for your password and what security level it should assign to it. Unfortunately win8 lacks the Manage Wireless Networks gui so you get to use the command line... or install a 3rd party utility.

Open a run box window (or press win+R) then type cmd to open Windows 8 CLI.
To see stored wireless profiles, type:
netsh wlan show profiles
This will show a list of saved profiles of your connected WLAN devices. Then you'll need to write/save/memorize the profile name that you want to change.
To see the stored key (WPA/WEP/etc) of a specific profile:
netsh wlan show profiles name=[profile name] key=clear
You'll find the key content under security settings.
To delete a stored profile:
netsh wlan delete profile name=[profile name]
This will delete the stored profile of every WLAN interface. If you want to delete the profile of a specific WLAN interface, you need to use the following:
netsh wlan delete profile name=[profile name] interface=[interface name]

Solution