[SOLVED] Help! Ethernet Being blocked by I/O shield

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
So I just built my first pc and it works!
However I just went to plug in the ethernet and there's a piece of the I/O shield blocking the port. I probably connected the motherboard and I/o shield slightly incorrectly, it was probably the most awkward bit of my build.
Maybe you can see the problem from the photo and help. I'm ready to install windows updates and drivers.
Thanks!

Pics: View: https://imgur.com/a/xIU2Hiv

Solution
Get a pair of needle nose pliers and try to grab the piece that is blocking the ethernet, and bend it up and cut it. Or, if you don't want to do that, then you'll have to disassemble the IO shield, which will probably require you to remove the motherboard. The metal piece is kind of like a spring that goes into the space just to the right of the ethernet. You can try to use pliers to shove it into that space to the right of the port, but that will probably be impossible to do.
Nov 11, 2020
Get a pair of needle nose pliers and try to grab the piece that is blocking the ethernet, and bend it up and cut it. Or, if you don't want to do that, then you'll have to disassemble the IO shield, which will probably require you to remove the motherboard. The metal piece is kind of like a spring that goes into the space just to the right of the ethernet. You can try to use pliers to shove it into that space to the right of the port, but that will probably be impossible to do.

Reactions: rdpc
Solution

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019

Ok thanks, I really don't want to take the motherboard out and fix it that way so I'll prob just bend it up. Is that ok to do, like it's not serving an important function?

Nov 11, 2020
Ok thanks, I really don't want to take the motherboard out and fix it that way so I'll prob just bend it up. Is that ok to do, like it's not serving an important function?
Yeah, it should be fine. All the IO shield does is prevent dust and it grounds the connections to the case. Removing that tiny little piece of metal isn't going to matter.

Reactions: rdpc