Question HELP: EXTREMELY bad gaming performance after swapping motherboard and cpu, AND HDMI does not work.

Dec 31, 2019
I changed my motherboard/cpu/case/PSU from the stock specs of the Acer Aspire Prebuilt Desktop PC (Yeah, i know. Never buying a prebuilt again.) I kept the same hard drive. Windows boots and runs very well, but whenever i get into a game, I get at max 2 FPS on games like rocket league. I use 2 8 gb sticks of ram (There are only 2 ram slots, so its not because of my ram placement.) The HDMI does not work, which sucks because i use HDMI For my second monitor. VGA Works fine. I used Device Manager to check the drivers.

SPECS AFTER REPLACEMENT
Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Q300L
Motherboard: GA-A320M-S2H
CPU: AMD RYZEN 3 2200G W/ Radeon Vega Graphics
PSU: GAMDIAS ASTRAPE M1 650W
RAM: 2x 8gb @ 2400 MHz

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

Format and Reinstall windows. You can’t swap equipment like that and not install windows or you will face problems like this

Reactions: Phaaze88
Aug 7, 2018
You need to wipe your hard drive and do a fresh windows install.
Format and Reinstall windows. You can’t swap equipment like that and not install windows or you will face problems like this

If the upgraded motherboard will boot to Windows, you can install the motherboard/chipset drivers to the old O/S and it will usually work just fine.

I factory reset my pc. even now, it gets BAD performance.

Did you install/reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers after the reset? That O/S on the installation partition was made specifically for the old hardware of that computer, not the hardware you are using now. I would absolutely reinstall the drivers for all the critical components. Did you check "show hidden devices" in Hardware Manager?

I don't like your PSU. It looks cheap, no-name and might be counterfeit/fake. Why did you get it vs. all the other more well-known brands? I don't trust the specs I saw and would not be surprised if it's the cause of the problems. Check your voltages as reported in BIOS, particularly make certain the memory is getting the voltage called for in the specs. Note you can boost CPU and memory .1 volt for a short period of time (a day) with no ill effect. Low voltage sometimes causes instability. If you boost the voltage and things suddenly start working you've found your problem.

D

Deleted member 14196

If the upgraded motherboard will boot to Windows, you can install the motherboard/chipset drivers to the old O/S and it will usually work just fine.

Did you install/reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers after the reset? That O/S on the installation partition was made specifically for the old hardware of that computer, not the hardware you are using now. I would absolutely reinstall the drivers for all the critical components. Did you check "show hidden devices" in Hardware Manager?

I don't like your PSU. It looks cheap, no-name and might be counterfeit/fake. Why did you get it vs. all the other more well-known brands? I don't trust the specs I saw and would not be surprised if it's the cause of the problems. Check your voltages as reported in BIOS, particularly make certain the memory is getting the voltage called for in the specs. Note you can boost CPU and memory .1 volt for a short period of time (a day) with no ill effect. Low voltage sometimes causes instability. If you boost the voltage and things suddenly start working you've found your problem.
Wrong information. Sorry. Clean install only

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
I changed my motherboard/cpu/case/PSU from the stock specs of the Acer Aspire Prebuilt Desktop PC (Yeah, i know. Never buying a prebuilt again.) I kept the same hard drive. Windows boots and runs very well, but whenever i get into a game, I get at max 2 FPS on games like rocket league. I use 2 8 gb sticks of ram (There are only 2 ram slots, so its not because of my ram placement.) The HDMI does not work, which sucks because i use HDMI For my second monitor. VGA Works fine. I used Device Manager to check the drivers.

SPECS AFTER REPLACEMENT
Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Q300L
Motherboard: GA-A320M-S2H
CPU: AMD RYZEN 3 2200G W/ Radeon Vega Graphics
PSU: GAMDIAS ASTRAPE M1 650W
RAM: 2x 8gb @ 2400 MHz
Update the BIOS to latest version.