Help! Factory installed Windows 8 Pro with Windows 7. WANT TO GO BACK!

Jennifer Nicole

Reputable
May 1, 2015
So I "inherited" a HP Elitebook Intel Core i5-4300U x64bit. It runs good and everything, but it has a Windows 8 Pro sticker logo on it. Now my question is, it currently is running Windows 7Enterprise. Did someone install Windows 7Enterprise over the Windows 8Pro? I do not have the disc and contacting the previous owner is not possible. I've read that the product key could be embedded into the BIOS of the laptop. Can i go back to Windows 8Pro without having to buy a new product key? If so, what download and where can i find it?

Please help, i've spent too much time looking already and i feel like im running in circles! Also, why are there so many searches for downgrading Windows 8 to 7? Do people really like 7 better?

Solution
Hi

There are utilities to read the encrypted win key in registry
Several free programs are available
Nirsoft have one called produkey

The enterprise windows 7 either has a stolen enterprise key or was owned by a company who standardised on win 7 and did not want win 8

To get win 8 back see if there is a recovery partition hidden on the hard drive , which could be used to make a recovery USB or DVD disk

Or contact HP to buy a recovery USB or DVD specifying exact model
Or find someone with exact same model HP and ask them to make you a recovery DVD or USB disk

My personal view is if you have a touch screen then you need 8.1 if not 7 is better

If you wait a few months you can have the win 10 upgrade for free
(Provided it does not...
Hi

There are utilities to read the encrypted win key in registry
Several free programs are available
Nirsoft have one called produkey

The enterprise windows 7 either has a stolen enterprise key or was owned by a company who standardised on win 7 and did not want win 8

To get win 8 back see if there is a recovery partition hidden on the hard drive , which could be used to make a recovery USB or DVD disk

Or contact HP to buy a recovery USB or DVD specifying exact model
Or find someone with exact same model HP and ask them to make you a recovery DVD or USB disk

My personal view is if you have a touch screen then you need 8.1 if not 7 is better

If you wait a few months you can have the win 10 upgrade for free
(Provided it does not think the enterprise 7 key is stolen)

Regards
Mike Barnes

Solution