Help Factory Reset Dell Desktop Win 8

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I am trying to sell my computer and all I needed to do was reset the damn hard drive to factory settings. I assumed this would take 10 minutes and now it's completely messing everything up. Everything I do ends up with the computer asking me for some kind of disc which I do not have.

I've gone thru advance start up options multiple times, but it always ask for a disc or media. Why do they make this so complicated? I don't see why I can't simply click something and be done with it. It's funny that it's 100 times easier and faster to acquire and use pirated software than it is to reset your legit software.

I just found my actual product key for windows with the help of some software. I'm not sure of the best way to go about with a fresh install. If I simply format this drive and install windows then will it think the key is already in use from the install I erased? If anyone knows the best way to reinstall that could fix the issue, it might take longer, but i just want it done so I can sell it.

Solution

I saw something that said hit f8 or cntrl f11, but none of that works. It Is something different with windows 8 and not sure. I'm following these instructions on the link below. Basically installing some kind of dell backup / restore software. it's been doing it's thing getting set up for about 25 minutes now. It looks like once it's done you can use it to restore to factory so let's hope it works.. This really sucks someone was coming to buy this other pc from me today and now I had to back up the sale...

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

I've been into those settings, but once it starts it always ask for a disk I do not have and never have had.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

I saw something that said hit f8 or cntrl f11, but none of that works. It Is something different with windows 8 and not sure. I'm following these instructions on the link below. Basically installing some kind of dell backup / restore software. it's been doing it's thing getting set up for about 25 minutes now. It looks like once it's done you can use it to restore to factory so let's hope it works.. This really sucks someone was coming to buy this other pc from me today and now I had to back up the sale.

http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/reset-dell-inspiron-desktop-computer-factory-settings-27833.html

Solution