[SOLVED] help, failing boot and keyboard not registering input

Sep 14, 2021
I'm currently working on migrating my OS to an m.2 ssd. I made the mistake of turning on fast boot because at first glance I assumed nothing bad. well here I am, not being able to boot, stuck on the screen "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

I can't do anything. I've tried unplugging my m.2 and even my hdd at different times and it still brings me to this screen. I'm also pretty sure fast boot is making my keyboard not work. my keyboard lights up but no inputs are registered. I've tried several keyboard to no avail.

Solution
Could be that with migrating the bootsector didn't get migrated as well.

Take a look at this,

would disconnect the hdd when doing this so only the ssd is connected and as said you need to make a usb via the "Windows download tool" you'll need to start/boot from this.

The Command Prompt will probably be the best option with using the next command " bootrec /fixboot "

Of course this only works if Windows did really get migrated.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Do a clear cmos. Means take the pc of the power = wallsocket, take the motherboard battery out for about 15 min, can push the on button on the case for about 30 sec. too just after the battery is out. and after that put it back in, see if it helped.

Sep 14, 2021
thanks for your help, I've got keyboard working. but where did migrating the OS go wrong? I used EaseUS to migrate os, then changed boot order to my m.2 and then it still fails to boot.it still boots on my old hdd though

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Could be that with migrating the bootsector didn't get migrated as well.

Take a look at this,

would disconnect the hdd when doing this so only the ssd is connected and as said you need to make a usb via the "Windows download tool" you'll need to start/boot from this.

The Command Prompt will probably be the best option with using the next command " bootrec /fixboot "

Of course this only works if Windows did really get migrated.

Solution

NaufalR9708

Prominent
Mar 29, 2020
Do a clear cmos. Means take the pc of the power = wallsocket, take the motherboard battery out for about 15 min, can push the on button on the case for about 30 sec. too just after the battery is out. and after that put it back in, see if it helped.
Hi, i have the same problem (cannot boot or enter bios) where keyboard not working after cleaned ssd sata. I have tried reset cmos but that doesn't work.

Edit : i have solved the problem by re-plug 24-pin cable and try to boot with 1 stick of ram

Last edited: